CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lathamjeld

7th May 2022, 11:21
Morning All. Proper challenge this week! A couple of trawls through and I have 11 answers so far, but neither of the 10 letters.
So many clues feel straightforward, but are eluding me.
Mooncow - what a brilliant tool! Many thanks for sharing.
Quick question to those further along than I am - once the extra letters have been added via a crossing entry, are the affected words still real words? Or do they become non-words?
11 of 130  -   Report This Post

quisling

7th May 2022, 11:45
Excellent puzzle. A proper Listener, as we've come to expect from Sabre. The final grid contains non-words, Lathamjeld. The fifth across clue is the clue of the year, for me
12 of 130  -   Report This Post

gitto

7th May 2022, 11:46
Sorry I can't help you Lathamjeld. I have tortuously managed to solve 18 clues and (using Mooncow's superb tool) developed a possible grid for the down solutions but that gives me gobbledegook for the 8 across solutions that I have with no place in the grid for any of them!! As soon as I saw a carte blanche and Sabre as the setter I knew that I was in deep trouble. This is currently confusing me beyond belief because even if my grid is wrong the first letters of down clues 6-10 don't fit the answer I have for the second across clue - onwards and downwards!
13 of 130  -   Report This Post

gitto

7th May 2022, 13:14
Getting there very slowly now. 22 solved and 19 entered in the grid - and I agree that the 5th across clues is brilliant.
14 of 130  -   Report This Post

quisling

7th May 2022, 13:19
Well done Gitto. I couldn’t think of a way to help you without giving the game away, but I’m glad you found enlightenment
15 of 130  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

7th May 2022, 13:28
I have cold solved more than half of the clues but can't find a way of entering them, so that they might fit.
Is there a possible clue in a synonym of the title?
16 of 130  -   Report This Post

bananabean

7th May 2022, 14:32
I have cold solved more than half of the clues and I think I can see how to enter them but I don't know the answers to either of the first two across clues or either of the first two down clues. Any hints to these four entries would be gratefully accepted.
17 of 130  -   Report This Post

cockie

7th May 2022, 14:42
Another corker from Sabre! Grid complete (thanks to generous checking), but for completeness I still can't parse the two clues beginning "Badly" and "Spot". I know what, but I don't know why.
18 of 130  -   Report This Post

buzzb

7th May 2022, 15:58
Badly...: 4-letter word for 'off' with one occurrence of the 3rd letter in Beaujolais being replaced by a 4-letter word

19 of 130  -   Report This Post

gitto

7th May 2022, 17:38
Is there something strange about two of the longer down answers?
20 of 130  -   Report This Post