CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

15th January 2022, 13:37
That's it, loge - thanks (at least there's a similar thought process there 'leave'/'keep').
51 of 140  -   Report This Post

loge

15th January 2022, 13:42
Gitto, we may be at cross purposes here. I don't dispute there's an unclued entry however many times you repeat the instruction; my point is that once you have completed the instruction once, you have filled the empty space left by the unclued entry with the first title. So when you start again, the only way to get the empty space back is to erase what you've filled in, which to me isn't the same as leaving it empty (unless you start again with a blank grid). I do agree with you that entering the second answer is the only way to complete the instructions for the second time, with the reservations you and others have expressed about removing the more comprehensive first title.
52 of 140  -   Report This Post

drxx

15th January 2022, 13:55
I think you can leave the 1st answer without compromising the repeat instructions, gitto - a perfectly fitting entry for the 2nd candidate is already there, it's a 'related title' and 'more new words' have already been formed.
53 of 140  -   Report This Post

drxx

15th January 2022, 14:03
...but I'm not going to do it like that - I'm going to sacrifice the beauty for the marking (even though the marker will never see it... a sad loss}.
54 of 140  -   Report This Post

gitto

15th January 2022, 14:38
Loge, I read "Leave the unclued entry initially blank" to mean exactly what you say - i.e. you have to remove your first entry, as it has no clue, and start again with the directions rather than with with an empty grid. I'm glad that (most of) the clues were not as difficult to resolve as the preamble has proven to be.
55 of 140  -   Report This Post

loge

15th January 2022, 14:46
In that case we're more or less in agreement other than the accuracy of the word "leave", Gitto. Still, that word has caused far greater problems ever since June 2016!
56 of 140  -   Report This Post

drxx

15th January 2022, 15:01
I think that word was the answer to problems that came to a head in July 1993, loge... but we don't want to debate that here, do we?
57 of 140  -   Report This Post

loge

15th January 2022, 15:08
Absolutely not, Drxx!
58 of 140  -   Report This Post

cockie

15th January 2022, 15:13
Having at last found my second player and coloured him in I'm still at a loss to know which word to put in the unclued space: The one which is relevant to both, or the other one? My preference is for the one later alphabetically. Am I wrong? Re-reading all the earlier posts still leaves me in doubt with all the 1st/2nd usages.
59 of 140  -   Report This Post

dylan

15th January 2022, 16:03
I’m way behind most of you! I still need help with the NE corner. Tips please for 3down, and also I have an answer for 29ac, which I can’t parse.
Thanks
60 of 140  -   Report This Post