CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

norah (admin)

15th January 2022, 08:29
CAUTION - Email Addresses

Ginge mentions his email address is listed in a previous Listener thread. Please remember that this is an open Forum available to all the spammers in the known world. We do not recommend our Members post their email addresses as it can be open to abuse.

Stay safe, take care, be alert.

PS As a good Admin, it is my job to give a warning but I have to agree that the Listener thread is probably one of the safest places to post an email address, who but the true diehards would dare venture into its portals.
11 of 140  -   Report This Post

unclued

15th January 2022, 10:58
Can I please have help completing 1 down and 28 across? I am not sure of the last letter in both. Thank you.
12 of 140  -   Report This Post

loge

15th January 2022, 11:02
1 down is a French composer + the outer letters of a word for score (think numerically)

28 is a double def: old word for to obstruct and a word for to allow
13 of 140  -   Report This Post

gitto

15th January 2022, 11:08
I'm confused by the end game. I have a full grid and the instruction given by the unchecked letters. Therefore I have the subject given by a down answer, the related title in the empty cells and the names of the player. I then substituted a word in the directions as per the instruction and drove into a brick wall...................
14 of 140  -   Report This Post

loge

15th January 2022, 11:13
Have you looked for another word that would fit the unclued entry and also leave real words, Gitto?
15 of 140  -   Report This Post

gitto

15th January 2022, 11:20
I'm doing that at this very minute Loge, but I was concentrating on the subject given by the new directions.
16 of 140  -   Report This Post

drxx

15th January 2022, 11:24
I expected solvers would see the 2nd before the 1st but I think the way gitto has solved it makes me wonder about the endgame - I prefer the 1st unclued entry for completeness but how would we show we'd understood the 2nd if we haven't changed it (and, in doing so, ruined the connection!)?.
17 of 140  -   Report This Post

loge

15th January 2022, 11:25
For me the subject was the last thing to fall into place. That's probably because I'd chased a whole skein of wild geese, but I was also unaware of, or had forgotten about, its relevance.
18 of 140  -   Report This Post

unclued

15th January 2022, 11:26
Thanks loge.
19 of 140  -   Report This Post

drxx

15th January 2022, 11:27
In the meantime I'm pondering a similar 'one way or the other' issue with the Inquisitor - which I think leans towards a different conclusion again.
20 of 140  -   Report This Post