CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rpchambe

30th August 2021, 08:33
Thank you Afrayedknot. Got it now. And thanks for the B hint - sadly the one of the four I'm least sure of.
131 of 221  -   Report This Post

roof

30th August 2021, 08:49
I'm now entering answers in the grid, but still have a few to get. I've been googling the theme, but can't get a complete list of characters. Just seven to get, but can anyone point me in the right direction for a good source of the characters?
132 of 221  -   Report This Post

mattrom

30th August 2021, 08:53
Roof, I found them all in the Wikipedia entry.
133 of 221  -   Report This Post

noeyedeer

30th August 2021, 09:01
Thanks 🙏 Afrayedknot!!
134 of 221  -   Report This Post

paufran

30th August 2021, 10:54
As a longtime Guardian crossword addict, this looks to me like a typical Maskarade production. Some insultingly easy clues, some ludicrously esoteric bits of information, and a structure designed more to demonstrate the ingenuity of the setter than challenge the intelligence of the solver. I'm staring at these impenetrable anagrams, but then resort to the Wikipedia cast list and a dozen of them drop into my lap. Is that meant to be satisfying? Like other aging solvers, I long for the old days, but I guess Maskarade has their gun to the editor's head, so we'll just have to crowdfund the ransom.
135 of 221  -   Report This Post

roof

30th August 2021, 10:59
Thanks Mattrom

I think I still have two to find and I have five clues still to solve. Can anyone give me a hint for:

Librarians covered in tiny drops (5) I think it is D??E?
Outburst as I got stuck in traffic (6) I have TI????
Not starting regular exercise in the wet (7) I have R??N?N?
Firmly established, parts of the rod are missing. I have ??D?G?N?E. If I have they support retirees correct then it starts with a B

and finally I can't find the clue for this one ??L?SA,

Of course I may have filled in the grid wrong!!

136 of 221  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th August 2021, 11:05
Hi Roof,

Well done on sticking with this, I regret now that I didn't do it.

Outburst - "traffic" as a verb around I - definition is "outburst" as a 'rant'.

Not starting - a word for "exercise" without its first letter - definition is "wet" as in 'the weather'.
137 of 221  -   Report This Post

prospero

30th August 2021, 11:15
roof - your D is wrong in "firmly established - it's a thematic answer. The librarian is probably the most famous one (Larkin excepted) who established a system used in most libraries ever since ...
138 of 221  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

30th August 2021, 11:15
Librarian singular, I think. A well known classification system and a homophone thereof.
Firmly established, etc. A theme answer and I think your D is wrong.
I cannot find a solution that fits the letters ??L?SA.
139 of 221  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th August 2021, 11:16
The ??L?SA looks like it's from "Old leader from country area" with a 5 letter "country" followed by A - definition is "old leader".
140 of 221  -   Report This Post