CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paulhabershon

11th May 2022, 15:18
jigjag

No correction or apology that I have seen, though the Letters Editor may have written privately to the professor. Perhaps Saturday's Feedback column may refer to it, but I suspect that The Times does not want to highlight the error.

As for the skimpy knickers and the host - well, the feminine forms (of words) have been extensively discussed here before. Probably host/hostess is going the same way as actor/actress, so 'host' may be apposite in the clue anyway. How quaint 'air hostess' sounds! I think it would be taken as an insult nowadays.
421 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

12th May 2022, 18:15
Paul

I think it is a poor show that an apology was not printed. If a politician had been misquoted, it would have been. The learned professor's are important and must be reported accurately.

It was interesting that the Times reported that The Duchess of Cambridge is a crossword fan. No doubt she contributes to this thread.
422 of 862  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th May 2022, 21:16
i may have misheard, but i think a trailer for a sky dramatisation of the midwich cuckoos i've just seen said "an entirely unexplained phenomena has just occurred"...
423 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

21st May 2022, 06:36
Another blow for the crusade against the prevalence of 'laying' instead of 'lying'.

In this week's Spectator Ivo Dawnay, journalist brother-in-law of the Prime Minister, writes about the political significance of Boris's hair:

...It could be the hair's finest hour, laying down flat on the head for the good of the nation...

I am right to think it should be 'lying', aren't I? Almost beginning to doubt myself.
424 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

21st May 2022, 20:58
You are right, PH.
Ivo Dawnay was educated at Eton.
425 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

31st May 2022, 12:07
According to newspaper and internet reports, there is carnage at airports right now. There was also carnage at the Liverpool football match on Saturday.

So where are all the dead bodies? Of course they're just examples of how main-stream media have to exaggerate and sensationalise things. It matters because it devalues the language. There is carnage in Ukraine. Does that simply mean people are having to queue for a long time there?
426 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

1st June 2022, 20:57
Orson
I agree with you. There would have been carnage but for the good behaviour of Liverpool fans in terrible circumstances.

Tyke
If you are looking in, congratulations on your city status. Looking forward to the Test tomorrow.
427 of 862  -   Report This Post

tyke51

1st June 2022, 21:20
Jigjag

Good to hear from you - pleased with the 'City' status but we'll always be Rovers! Glad you averted disaster - was hoping Brook would play at Lords but he must get a chance soon.
428 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

2nd June 2022, 12:39
Tyke
I saw Brook batting in the T20 Roses match - very impressive. I'm sure he will get a chance this summer. Yes Doncaster City does not sound right. I was disappointed when Swansea changed names.
429 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

6th June 2022, 17:20
More evidence of the losing battle against misuse of the verbs 'lie' and 'lay'. From a report in The Times, no less, of Friday 3rd June (my italics):

'Protesters...got on to The Mall despite a large security operation. Some laid down in the path of a military band...'

The pedant has to ask, 'What did they lay down? Flowers?'

The sub-editor should have changed it to 'Some lay down in the path of...'

The protesters were then lying (not laying) in the path of a military band.
430 of 862  -   Report This Post