CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

15th April 2022, 13:08
Todorovia

Have a look at Wikipedia. The Easter celebration lasts for 8 days. The days are Easter Sunday, Easter Monday.............Easter Saturday, Second Sunday of Easter. The first 7 of these are known as Easter Week. The week before Easter is Holy Week.
411 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

19th April 2022, 14:09
I often find I cannot watch a period drama on television without listening for words out of their time.

In Gentleman Jack I've noticed skinflint and blindsided so far. The latter is the more egregious, being an American sporting term from the 1960s. It just sounds so wrong in 1830s England.
412 of 862  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th April 2022, 14:59
on easter saturday: i know it's not definitive, but even radio times makes this distinction. last friday was labelled good friday; sunday easter day, and monday easter monday, but last saturday was just "saturday".
413 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

19th April 2022, 23:13
Chrise

Thanks, very pleased Radio Times got it right. I would not expect them to say Holy Saturday.

At last the Bank Holiday weekend is over. I dread it. Traffic jams, chaos at airports and non-stop football. I am now looking forward to my favourite weekend of the year in a few days - the Easter weekend!
414 of 862  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd April 2022, 19:56
I've just seen an advert promoting the "omega 3" in their product. Ignore anything that talks about "omega 3", they have no idea what they are talking about. The "essential oil" is omega-3, where the "-" means "minus". Unsaturated fatty acids have double bonds in the chain. The carbon atom next to the ester linkage is the alpha carbon, the second the beta. However many carbon atoms there are in the chain, the last one is the omega. Omega-3 means there's a double bond 3 carbons away from the end.
I've even seen puffs that suggest that omega-6 is twice as good as omega-3!
415 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

25th April 2022, 18:13
ChrisE

Yes I have seen the adverts. I dont like the pronunciation of "omega", oh-mee-geh does not sound correct. I always say oh-meh -geh, but I dont know if this is right.
416 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

25th April 2022, 18:27
jigjag

I agree with your pronunciation of omega.
The carol 'Unto us a boy is born' came to mind:
'...Omega and Alpha He! Let the organ thunder...'

The scansion doesn't work with
o-mee-ga.

I don't think the famous wristwatch brand ever used it that way either.
417 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

3rd May 2022, 11:46
Paul

Thanks, I have been away and have just seen your posting.

I think I picked it up from the science/ maths teachers. I never studied Greek.
418 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

9th May 2022, 16:31
I love the last word in a letter published in today's Times:

Sir, The overriding criterion for deciding whether to offer a candidate a place at university should be "will this candidate be able to cope with the courses this university provides?" The candidate's background is irreverent.
Emeritus Professor Christopher Rose-Innes
Wilmslow, Cheshire

I can imagine smoke issuing from the professor's ears when he sees what I assume is a subediting blunder. At last you have a letter published in The Times and it gets mangled.
419 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

11th May 2022, 11:22
Paul

Was there a correction or apology?

I was intrigued by a clue in the Times yesterday:

In these skimpy knickers host shows no resistance (5)

Surely a host would not wear such a garment, though a hostess might.
420 of 862  -   Report This Post