CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

6th August 2022, 17:08
Ah, I see what you mean Malone - I promise you I had absolutely no idea the endgame was going to include that.

Mea Culpa and sincere apologies. I think it's time I took a break:-)
451 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

6th August 2022, 17:20
Thanks, Brendan. I was starting to worry that I had the wrong six-word phrase when you said there was 'zero chance...'

PS It's not disastrous in that your slip-up came in the PU thread - it hasn''t spoiled an Inquisitor one!
452 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

6th August 2022, 20:25
Brendan, I've just realised that my post at 448 could be ambiguous. When I asked 'Haven't you highlighted..' I wasn't being literal, it was more in the way of 'Haven't you drawn attention to,,,' !
453 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

15th August 2022, 10:42
In a quick crossword (non cryptic) in today's Daily Telegraph, the clue is "value" and the answer is "apprise".
Surely the setter is thinking of "appraise". To apprise means to inform.
I know that apprise is the intended answer.
454 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

15th August 2022, 10:46
From Chambers…

apprize or apprise /ə-prīzˈ/ (archaic)
transitive verb
To put a selling price on (Scots law)
To value, appreciate
To have sold for payment of debt (Scots law)
455 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

15th August 2022, 10:59
It seems odd to use an archaic definition of a word in what is supposed to be an easy crossword when there is a perfectly good modern one, even though the two "apprises" have different roots and just happen to be spelt the sam.
456 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

17th August 2022, 13:01
Malone

I have always enjoyed your "random musings" that you mentioned on Norah's thread. I should appreciate it if you would be so kind as to provide some more for our entertainment. Apart from attending sports fixtures, I have not been out much, but hope to visit the market and M&S for some new jeans soon (2 years after your advice on this matter!)
457 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

17th August 2022, 13:09
After watching so much of the Commonwealth and European Games, I see that the annoying habit of athletes talking about hoping "to medal" and "to podium", now includes "to rostrum" and "to final".
458 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

17th August 2022, 13:53
Jigjag, thanks for your kind remarks. One person's enjoyment of 'random musings' may be offset by those being extremely irritating to someone else - though a 'chat' threat would mean I could witter to my heart's content. (I occasionally felt I/we could be confronted with today's equivalent of the Trades Descriptions Act, reminding us that there was no pedantry involved in some of the discussions.)

I'm glad you've managed to attend some sports fixtures, not so glad that you still haven't got round to buying new jeans. I believe 'Tapered Fit Cotton Rich Stretch Jeans' are selling well just now,as are the 'Big & Tall Regular Fit Stretch' variety. The pandemic probably kept you away from the 'Five item breakfast' at your markets, you may have come down a size or two...
459 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

17th August 2022, 20:02
Malone

I would not be surprised if I had a fit, tapered or otherwise, if I tried on Cotton Rich Stretch Jeans. But the Big and Tall Regular seem right for me. I will investigate on Friday. Must have a market breakfast too. I will let you know how I get on.
460 of 862  -   Report This Post