CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

1st March 2022, 11:17
Thanks Chris, I just saw that one, and for once I spotted the theme. Rather a lot of obscure references though
401 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd March 2022, 16:21
I didn't like this clue from today's Telegraph Toughie:

Academic wanting you and I to find artist’s place (6)

The clue works equally well, if not better, with you and me. For a while I thought there must be a reason for the bad grammar.
402 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

13th April 2022, 08:03
BBC Radio 5 Live: just heard Brendan O'Neill, chief politics writer of 'Spiked', interviewed about 'Partygate'.

'A lot of people purposefully broke lockdown rules'.

I think he meant 'purposely'.

I was surprised to hear a former Communist being so sympathetic towards Boris. I don't mind admitting that I too think resignation would be disproportionate.
403 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th April 2022, 16:35
Paul

I can't agree with you. I think he broke the rules purposefully, and lied in Parliament and on TV purposely/on purpose. Not the conduct of an MP let alone PM.
404 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

13th April 2022, 20:15
Yes, jigjag, I understand your view and accept that I am probably in the minority on this one.

Boris's hefty majority at the last election was probably due to the public's perception of the then Labour leader as a potential prime minister.
405 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

14th April 2022, 11:33
Purposefully, purposely and even purposively. It's a tricky area and the meanings can overlap.

I'm inclined to agree with Paul because if I do something purposefully, then I'm doing it in order to achieve something. I have a goal in mind. At least that's how I see it but others may disagree. The party was simply an end in itself so they weren't doing anything purposefully.

On another matter, I wish the BBC on Radio 3 would not refer to 16th April as Easter Saturday. If it's anything, it's Holy Saturday. Easter begins this Sunday so Easter Saturday comes after that, on the 23rd.
406 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

14th April 2022, 16:23
Paul

Thanks. I agree with you about the last Labour leader. Good policies perhaps, but not PM material.

Orson

I agree with you about Easter. References to this Saturday as Easter Saturday are wrong. It has always been Holy Saturday. I have also heard the ridiculous "Easter Friday" rather than "Good Friday". The BBC should know that Easter begins on Sunday and lasts for a week until Easter Saturday.
407 of 862  -   Report This Post

todorovia

14th April 2022, 16:45
Chambers dictionary on Easter: the period during which the festival takes place, thought of as running from Good Friday to Easter Monday.

Call the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Day what you will but perhaps it is not the BBC who should know when Easter is. As Easter has to with the festival commemorating the Resurrection of Christ, you could conceivably say that Good Friday is not part of Easter but the Saturday after Easter Monday is clearly not part of Easter.
408 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

14th April 2022, 18:23
todorovia

You are correct that Good Frriday is not part of Easter, nor is Holy Saturday. You are also correct that Easter Day commemorates the resurrection of Christ. This is the day that the festival starts, and it lasts a week.

If Chambers says that a festival starts on Good Friday, then that is nonsense. I dont know anybody who celebrates the death of Christ.
409 of 862  -   Report This Post

todorovia

14th April 2022, 19:17
Jigjag

Ah well. Every church I have ever known celebrates Easter as the whole event from death of Christ to the resurrection, there would not have been one without the other.

You believe Easter lasts a week after Easter Sunday, I don't; not in my life have I heard of Easter Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.
410 of 862  -   Report This Post