CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

24th July 2021, 01:03
This week's puzzle is by Crucible, who I don't think sets the Prize too often but, if this is the usual calibre of his crossword, then I truly hope we see him/her again soon - in short, this was terrific.

In terms of difficulty I'd say it probably sits somewhere in the mid-range
- how's that for sitting on the fence 😜

If you do get stuck there are two long anagrams and a hidden, all in the acrosses.

There are still two I haven't yet fully parsed, namely 16a and 27a but I'm pretty sure of my answers so hopefully the fog will lift soon:-)

COD - There are several brilliant clues this week so, rather than pick one, I've got a three-way tie between 13a, 6d and 2d - If you ever wanted to see examples of smooth surfaces in clue writing, you need look no further than these 👍

Thanks to Crucible for a fantastic crossword:-)

What did you think of this week's crossword? Let us know in the comments, and remember, if you get stuck - don't hesitate to ask for a hint.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th July 2021, 01:09
27a - I had the wrong "drink in Bonn" which is why I couldn't parse it, but all clear now:-)
2 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th July 2021, 01:10
..... and I now see how 16a parses - I was trying to overcomplicate it 😡
3 of 96  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th July 2021, 01:10
Hi Brendan,
Thanks to Crucible. I thought this was a bit easier than usual until I hit 24, which I can't parse!
FOI 10, LOI 24 if/when I get it. I thought there were a lot of clever clues (my list of good ones numbered 10), but no real blockbusters until 11 and 21, which are my COD and runner-up. Unusually, many of the clues with short answers are really nice.
4 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th July 2021, 01:13
Hi Geeker,

24a - If you add "have" to your answer you get an "astringent".

I think you're right, in retrospect it is a bit less difficult than usual.
5 of 96  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th July 2021, 01:14
13: defn "scoop maybe", parses as 3,1,4.
6: defn. "band", parses as "king" inside something (trying to avoid spoiler).
6 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th July 2021, 01:16
Those were my COD's.

The two I couldn't initially parse were 16a and 27a but I've figured them out - literally within a minute of posting!
7 of 96  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th July 2021, 01:17
Thanks, Brendan! I was pulling out what's left of my hair trying to figure out parsing of 24. As often happens in retrospect with clues that flummox me, I now regret not awarding it COD.
8 of 96  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th July 2021, 01:19
Sorry for misreading your post, Brendan. Both of those are indeed good clues and 6 was on my (not so) short COD list.
9 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th July 2021, 01:19
I know the feeling only too well Geeker:-)

PS - I'll be at a wedding up north next week so won't be around for the blog.
10 of 96  -   Report This Post