CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

24th July 2021, 01:28
I wonder if the people responsible for the Guardian puzzle app. have been made aware of the length of time it can sometimes take for the green tick to appear when you've correctly completed their puzzles - I only say this because the tick appeared almost instantaneously this week:-)
11 of 96  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th July 2021, 02:32
Another funny/frustrating thing: Only now, after being stumped by the parsing of 24 and enlightened by Brendan, do I recall that I'd seen that very clue (or something equivalent) before! But my memory failed when it counted... 😳
12 of 96  -   Report This Post

rainman

24th July 2021, 04:04
A bit slower than last week, but I got there in the end. I don't think there was a theme last week, but I presume this week's is what you would find in a 15d.
13 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th July 2021, 04:08
Well spotted Rainman,

Needless to say I completely missed it 😜

Roof, is a bit of an expert in this field and so, I imagine, are many other Forum regulars, so I expect this will be a popular puzzle:-)
14 of 96  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th July 2021, 04:23
Since the Olympics just opened, there could be an OG-themed Nina in row 14, going from right to left.
But it's probably a coincidence. 🙂
15 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th July 2021, 04:39
Nice ones Geeker,

In the same Olympic vein, have a look at the first four letters in row 6, again reading right to left, there's even another 2 letters in the row - an opportunity missed perhaps 😉
16 of 96  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

24th July 2021, 06:21
Alas, now I’m even more frustrated after rainman’s hint. I still don’t have 15. Clearly that will be my LOI. I did enjoy 6d also, but especially 26a.
17 of 96  -   Report This Post

jono

24th July 2021, 07:04
Indeed, Crucible’s puzzle from last month with a sports theme would have been appropriate today. I didn’t think today’s theme was tied to 15d specifically. I saw it as more general and evident from a quick read through of the clues, but I may be wrong. That approach helped me anyway.

Brendan, yes I had the same experiences with the green tick, it’s much faster now. There was an update a couple of weeks ago which was supposed to bring ‘performance improvements’ and they’ve added Codeword and Killer Sudoku if you like those. A while ago I left feedback for the developers about saving the general settings and while they didn’t respond to me it did change!
18 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th July 2021, 07:12
Hi Jono,

I absolutely love Codeword and Killer Sudoku and have already done every single one available on the app😀

That's good news on the upgrade as the previous delay in the tick appearing used to make me think I had typos and I'd often completely refill the grid when it was totally unnecessary.
19 of 96  -   Report This Post

alzy

24th July 2021, 07:17
Finally finished after a fast start, then log-jammed for way to long in a few places en route. Always my fault for having the wrong crossers with clues that I thought were invincible until I put (for me) my long gone British words into play. Problem areas for me were 6d vs. 11a and 18d vs 17a. Very enjoyable nevertheless. Thanks Crucible.
20 of 96  -   Report This Post