CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

luko

16th January 2021, 18:58
Well, I enjoyed this one very much after a slow start - more due to tackling it with insomnia at silly o'clock this morning than any innate difficulty). A nice mix of Pauline clues and a subtle theme that, as somebody said, was more than a little Araucarian. Thanks Paul
I'm surprised people didn't know the author in 12a, I'm sure you know her works (many of my generation fell in love with Jenny Agutter because of the probably best-known interpretation).
I had a colleague from NZ who definitely claimed 29 for her nation, in fact she blamed the inadequacy of UK baristas' efforts as the main reason for her eventual decision to return to Auckland!
FOI 1d after failing on all the acrosses (see above), LOI 27 (no excuse!), COD a three-way toss-up between 12, 29 and 7
61 of 93  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th January 2021, 19:27
Hi Luko,

I'm feeling very left out by not knowing of the 'barista's creation' - I need to broaden my horizons πŸ˜ƒ
62 of 93  -   Report This Post

roof

16th January 2021, 19:30
Hi Brendan and Chris

I managed to get 29ac from previous hints especially the reference to what you do with cream. I had written this down as a solution, but
PDM gave me the parsing. Previous hints also gave me 22d and the whole of the SE corner was done. Just the SW corner now and 8d to do.

Your hints for 24ac haven't helped yet, though I think they will when I get 18d, which I just have. And now 24ac falls into place and 28ac and 24d. Is 21ac Paulian? If so, I have it. Just 25d and 8d to do. I can't parse 20ac and don't like 16d.

My cast comes off on Monday, but the site is still very painful. I'm looking forward to typing with both hands.
The cat's poorly paw was some time ago and he got better quickly.
63 of 93  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th January 2021, 19:40
20 is a hidden
25 is a dd - fibres pounded together
8 a rather recondite word for a horizontal entrance to a mine - i knew it from swallows and amazons - pigeon post, specifically
64 of 93  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th January 2021, 19:41
20a - you'll kick yourself Roof, it's hidden in the clue:-)

16d - Chris wasn't keen on this either - it seems he was known as Teddy not Ted.

21a - Yes, a Pauline - I only found out about these recently so am glad when I spot one.

8d - Is an alternate letters/"every second" type clue.

25d - is a double definition.

I hope the pain eases soon πŸ˜‰
65 of 93  -   Report This Post

roof

16th January 2021, 19:46
Thanks Chris

I just got them, but had to look up 8d as I wasn't very familiar with the meaning. I can't see what the rest of the clue has to do with it, but I'm satisfied that I've finished and can eat my dinner in peace. My husband is still having to cook and I can hear lots of heavy sighing from the kitchen.

Many thanks to everybody for their hints. I rather like Paul.
66 of 93  -   Report This Post

teewens

16th January 2021, 19:47
22d puzzled some posters. Familiarity with addresses in France would have helped! I really enjoyed this crossword. Many thanks to Paul and all posters on this forum.
67 of 93  -   Report This Post

jono

16th January 2021, 19:49
What is so clever about 29a is that in addition to some intricate word play, the entire entire clue reads as a recipe for said beverage (someone may correct me ;) I once ordered a double espresso macchiato and asked for a little extra milk, and was told by the Aussie barista β€œthat’s a flat white mate!”
68 of 93  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th January 2021, 19:52
as i understand it, it's made as a latte, but when the milk is foamed, most of the foam is poured away.
69 of 93  -   Report This Post

rocky7

16th January 2021, 20:43
Apologies if I've missed other posts but can anyone help me parse both 13s? Not finished yet but enjoying this one.
70 of 93  -   Report This Post