CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buddy

15th September 2020, 14:31
No relation between the theme and any current events

Crematoria, 4-letter word for "male only" reversed around H.

Wick, French word for "without", reversed.
81 of 109  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

15th September 2020, 14:36
Thanks Brendan! I've got the crematoria answer now - and it's a new word learned for me!

But I'll have to do a bit more thinking on the theme. I was distracted by Boris and his endless claims that we'll have a world beating track and trace system - and by Trump suggesting we all drink disinfectant. Cos, that'll cure Covid, for sure!
82 of 109  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

15th September 2020, 14:50
Turns out I was completely wrong with my Wick answer, but thanks to Buddy and Brendan, I have now learned another new word, (albeit one i'm unlikely to be dropping into casual conversation anytime soon).

As for the theme, the penny has just dropped, so maybe - just maybe - I can complete this puzzle after all.
83 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th September 2020, 15:10
Well done Suzannah, there's nothing quite like an real PDM 😀
84 of 109  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

15th September 2020, 16:15
Suzannah, this was a hard one all right. I only got the Wick clue from filing in the grid. Obscure word for sure. The last one I got other than Cycle wheel covers, which I am still not clear on.
85 of 109  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

15th September 2020, 18:21
Hi Mathprofrockstar!

Yep, definitely a toughie this week - and I've still got a few clues that need dealing with. I think the one that you're stuck on involves cycling a word for wheel covers to find a definition of the last two words in the clue.

Hope that helps,
Suzannah
86 of 109  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

15th September 2020, 18:46
Indeed, that’s what I figured, but it’s still not coming to me. Lots of obscure terms this week.
87 of 109  -   Report This Post

robp86

15th September 2020, 19:22
Thanks Brendan, I knew it was straightforward but I got sidetracked on "rest" being "et al" and couldn't see past it!!!!
88 of 109  -   Report This Post

williamseal

15th September 2020, 19:31
Well it's Tuesday evening so time for the bottom of the class to ask questions.

I'm finding this a brute. Having consulted the thread I've picked up a few more answers. I will observe that the penultimate 'seahorse' clue may be the most difficult I've ever encountered.

If someone could offer me the following nudges I'll carry on.

Does the answer to the blessing definitely go in the lower of the two ten space across clues? If so presumably a replacement word must go in the ten spaceabove it.

Could I ask for a nudge on the second (and third if it doesn't start with a c) of the six letter b words.

And finally (until Friday) could someone give me the letter the goes in the top NW square and are either of the words that it starts replacements?

Aubenayang has just re-signed so there is some reason to take heart, even if my contract at the circus is unlikely to be renewed.

Hope I'm not expelled for so many questions. Thanks
89 of 109  -   Report This Post

malone

15th September 2020, 19:38
Williamseal, hope you're flipping behaving yourself?

1. Yes, the blessing is definitely in the lower space. Yes, there's a replacement in the other 10-letter one.

The second B word has the the usual 'wine' inside a three-letter word meaning spirits, spectres etc. The definition is the first two words in the clue.
90 of 109  -   Report This Post