CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

xij

13th September 2020, 13:49
Thanks to all for the hint. However, it was thanks to a friend who popped in for a coffee this morning who spotted the words straightaway, and she doesn’t do crosswords, and gets bored every time I try to explain the Listener. She even explained the wordplay to “Displaying reason...”,which I couldn’t for the life of me get. So simple. The clue, not her. Maybe we’ll have another female coming on this site soon.
71 of 109  -   Report This Post

smithsax

13th September 2020, 14:26
I found this one quite difficult. Had 90% of the answers before fitting any into the grid - so a frustrating start but then a rapid and very enjoyable finish.
Maybe not the best of the year but it would certainly be in my top six.
72 of 109  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

14th September 2020, 07:28
A small and nerdy offering. The acronym to be removed from the final answer is not obscure if you happen to be a very sad military history buff. Guilty as charged!
73 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th September 2020, 17:13
Does anyone know why puzzles like the Listener, IQ and EV are barred as opposed to the more traditional black and white squares? Is it because they want to use all available space is is there a more intrinsic reason?
74 of 109  -   Report This Post

lumen

14th September 2020, 17:29
They want to show they know more funny words that can fit together?
75 of 109  -   Report This Post

lumen

14th September 2020, 17:31
Like pegasus backwards, with first and last letters removed, just for fun!
76 of 109  -   Report This Post

robp86

15th September 2020, 10:41
Have 90% of the answers but stuck on the first one "spicy dishes....". Any hints appreciated
77 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th September 2020, 11:51
Hi Rob,

3 letter word for "retriever" (abbr. of a dog) + 3 letter "rest" both reversed/"brought back" - definition is "spicy dishes"
78 of 109  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

15th September 2020, 14:18
Hi all!

I've got about two-thirds of the clues solved, but no idea what the theme is, although I can see a link between the 12-letter word and another answer beginning with 'M'. That, and the title, are making me think of the major news story of the year. Am I on the right track?

I'm also yet to tackle the grid and would love a hint for the crematoria clue, as I've exhausted my cold-solving abilities on that one.

Finally, I think I have the answer to the Wick clue, but can't parse the first 4 letters. Help!

Suzannah x
79 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th September 2020, 14:29
Hi Suzannah,

Crematoria clue is - 4 letters for "men only" (think 'party') reversed/"revolving" around usual abbr. of "hospital" - definition is "crematoria"

Wick clue - French/"to Paris" for "and" and "without" both reversed/"returns"

The theme isn't a news item but a series of well known proverbs/sayings that have a three word phrase in them (2,3,4) connecting the original word and the theme word
80 of 109  -   Report This Post