CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lumen

13th September 2020, 09:39
I saw this clue described earlier as devious and ingenious.
I’d say tortuous and preposterous. Why does it have to even involve a SEAhorse?
51 of 109  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

13th September 2020, 10:15
Chambers. Third definition.
52 of 109  -   Report This Post

xij

13th September 2020, 11:21
I finished the grid yesterday and have since been staring at it, without any idea what the theme is, or where to highlight. Could some kind soul point me in the right direction please, before I go mad.
53 of 109  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

13th September 2020, 11:31
Thank you Kea, very elegant. Your last puzzle was one of my wife’s favourites, being a physicist! All praise to her for this one as she got both the 4 remaining clues and the PDM at 4 am, without waking me. I was reliving yesterday’s win over her team at bowling at that time. Might query the final highlighting as it’s not a true symmetrical shape. That’s why we write to Pedant’s Corner in Private Eye! But hey-ho, thanks again.
54 of 109  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

13th September 2020, 11:40
XIJ. See my post at 53, last sentence. Unless we’ve got it completely wrong, the 4 words, total of 12 letters, form an arrow head that is not quite symmetrical. Admin, pull this post if too explicit.
55 of 109  -   Report This Post

splinters

13th September 2020, 11:41
Please could someone give me a nudge on the 9th clue ‘group separately’? I have the answer, highlight, and completed grid, this is the last one I can’t parse.

In reply to xij, two of the highlighted words are commonly associated with the unclued entry. They are not in a straight line.
56 of 109  -   Report This Post

orson

13th September 2020, 11:43
Simplesimon, my highlighting is symmetrical. Did you choose the right T at the end of a four-letter word?
57 of 109  -   Report This Post

merenz

13th September 2020, 11:45
Xjj. Take another look at the five replacements (and the unclued answer). How do they link with the words you’ve replaced, phrase wise and indeed the title? In terms of what to highlight, there was a nice hint earlier... how many thematic entries are there?
58 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th September 2020, 11:49
Actually, I'm still not certain why the highlighted number is what it is, there are only 5 thematic answers - unless it's including the three-word unclued?
59 of 109  -   Report This Post

merenz

13th September 2020, 11:50
Yes Brendan... it includes the unclued three word answer
60 of 109  -   Report This Post