CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smithsax

7th July 2020, 21:13
I had the same problem. Managed to download the full text from the intenet. It turns out the quote is the first sentence of the prologue - and the most famous one.
81 of 86  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

7th July 2020, 23:31
Thanks smithsax, finished it now. Very good.

82 of 86  -   Report This Post

mooncow

8th July 2020, 01:51
Enjoyed this one, and did it all by myself just popping here to clinch the parsing for 45 (thanks loge!). I did enjoy 44/45/46 — clues that continue with ellipses are usually self-contained and just link the surface reading, but this was a very neat conceit to actually chain the clues. I even managed the endgame, though I did scan the entire (and long!) prologue looking for those mystical first three letters until I realised they were just where I needed to look it up and the only line they gave was the obvious one I’d have guessed anyway.... d’oh :-) Thanks Shenanigans.
83 of 86  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

8th July 2020, 13:22
Having enjoyed the puzzle and it all working out, I thought, I'm wondering if I got 42a wrong, since through 14d fits with the thematic quotation, 24d doesn't quite.

Does the 4 letter word for transcript end in Y?
Surely it must end in S, for the quotation to apply, shouldn't it?
84 of 86  -   Report This Post

drxx

8th July 2020, 17:10
jazzlover42 - Yes, the 4 letter part of the wordplay ends in Y.

It would be asking a lot for this part of the endgame to fit perfectly with the thematic source, because it's constrained by the letters available (there's only one 's' and it's used for the first down entry) but it can make perfect sense in crossword terms.
85 of 86  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

9th July 2020, 06:28
Thanks for the confirmation, ddxx.
86 of 86  -   Report This Post