CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ethik

5th July 2020, 20:28
PDM. Thanks!
71 of 86  -   Report This Post

quiz

6th July 2020, 09:59
All completed, but two I can’t quite parse...

7d - I know which word moves, and to where, for the definition, but can make no sense of the remaining worldplay.

10d - no word moved. Definition is ‘trials’. I imagine ‘exams’ is five letters, of the sort you get in modern languages at school. But can’t figure out the rest.

Thanks in advance!
72 of 86  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

6th July 2020, 10:49
Quiz

7dn. Baths are measurements. Then think of, say, whisky, with no ginger ale.

10 dn. correct about the language exams. Then failing to pass means inadequate grades.

73 of 86  -   Report This Post

quisling

6th July 2020, 11:03
simplesimon, D and E are still technically passes, even if of the weakest kind. So the parsing of "one failing to pass" is DIE, for pass, missing the one (I)
74 of 86  -   Report This Post

quiz

6th July 2020, 11:10
Thank you both - should have delved a bit deeper into Chambers. Always nice to have the loose ends tied up.
75 of 86  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

6th July 2020, 12:09
Quisling. Yes I think your parsing is better. I will let my parser in chief know. She looks after the details, I do the top-down more intellectual stuff. 😉
76 of 86  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

6th July 2020, 12:13
Quisling, also forgot to add, whilst we don’t use the quotation source we discussed in earlier threads, our Everyman quotations source was published in 1959, and still did not contain the necessary quote! Had to use the Internet. New books on order, including a second Big Red Book.
77 of 86  -   Report This Post

williamseal

6th July 2020, 12:32
Thanks gitto for post 10. This meant I could finish. I'd completed the grid and found the quotation and completed b). As ever ... however.. I couldn't see how to do a) until gitto's thread told me to look for the first two words in the grid. All done. Arsenal winning and off to see to the pups later this week so all good. Thanks to those who contribute.
78 of 86  -   Report This Post

williamseal

6th July 2020, 12:41
Incidentally the film what shot in North Norfolk just down the road from my pond.
79 of 86  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

7th July 2020, 20:50
Finished the grid, have the letters. Don't have the reference book referred to. Any tips for tracking down the quote? Tried googling and there seem to be lots of options. Presumably in the quoted work there's only one?
80 of 86  -   Report This Post