CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lexawkward

27th June 2020, 10:10
Is it just me or is there an issue with the instruction

“each having a riddle given by the extra words (in clue order) from clues to entries that start in that room”

I have extra words from two clues starting in the TL quadrant that I think should probably be in the riddle for the TR quadrant, and one extra word from a clue in the TR quadrant that should probably be in the TL one ...
21 of 170  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

27th June 2020, 10:34
Apols. Compass directions - only cardinals allowed.
22 of 170  -   Report This Post

lumen

27th June 2020, 10:43
I’d like to move on to the riddle stage but have two clues to solve, tips welcome please for I’ll wager Doctor gets the cab (6) and Matthew’s worthless son etc (4).
23 of 170  -   Report This Post

gitto

27th June 2020, 10:54
Finally escaped, but slightly confused about the top left riddle. Lumen, for "I'll wager....." the answer is an anagram of a slang term, there is a superfluous word in the clue. For the other clue there is also one superfluous word, and is a very common word for a rogue, less it's last letter and minus the cryptic indicator in the clue.
24 of 170  -   Report This Post

drxx

27th June 2020, 11:01
lexawkward - I had no problems with the words leading to the riddles - they alll appear to belong in the correct quadrants..

I agree that the top left riddle is less like a riddle and more like a clue (I had to trace out the likely words - which is quite easy if you already know the in/out points).
25 of 170  -   Report This Post

lumen

27th June 2020, 11:05
Thanks Gitto, got the I’ll wager one now. But still struggling with what the extra word is, and what the definition is, for Matthew one.
26 of 170  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

27th June 2020, 11:12
Completed. Sidetracked by Beatrix initially. Thank you Xanthippe. Had a senior moment yesterday and sent an email to Waterloo’s website about compilation techniques. Apologies to those concerned.
27 of 170  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

27th June 2020, 11:14
Hi Lumen

Matthew’s is Listener for ‘Biblical’, so is not extra in this clue.
28 of 170  -   Report This Post

foinaven

27th June 2020, 11:31
I have the escape route although I have no real idea why the top left riddle gives me the required answer. I suspect I am out of my depth here.

I seemed to find this a lot harder than other solvers. Getting the 12 letter answers is clearly a bit bonus.
29 of 170  -   Report This Post

dylan

27th June 2020, 11:32
I'm still baffled by the two 5-letter Down answers- more help please!
30 of 170  -   Report This Post