CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

27th June 2020, 18:09
I think this forum is getting close to the point that if you log in on a Sunday you can get all the answers. The Listener has always been very taxing, and to reduce the complexity of the solve seems to me the antithesis of starting the damn thing in the first place. By the way, I am a grumpy old man.

I have no problem in helping people develop their skills, but I do not concur that it should reduce the solution to the simplicity of a "normal" cryptic.
71 of 170  -   Report This Post

ukridge

27th June 2020, 18:10
You're right, drxx. I misread the definition in Chambers. My riddle is more elegant now
72 of 170  -   Report This Post

drxx

27th June 2020, 18:12
The usual 2 letters for 'mouth' + two single letter abbrevs (and I've just noticed the extra first word - that makes the top left riddle 11, not 10 words).
73 of 170  -   Report This Post

drxx

27th June 2020, 18:17
gitto, there are few old men grumpier than me.

Most of this thread has involved nit-picking over extra words in the clues - solvers will have got the sense of the riddles long before we started agonising over their constituent parts. And I haven't noticed any spoilers regarding the specific route/the riddles themselves. If anything this thread will have bored people to death.
74 of 170  -   Report This Post

gitto

27th June 2020, 18:19
Specsaver, your PS is incorrect. The riddle is T?YS?O
75 of 170  -   Report This Post

drxx

27th June 2020, 18:29
specsaver - for the first you need an extra after the 2nd W.
for the second you need an extra between the first two and the last two (and lose the middle 'p' altogether).

One more thing, gitto - many solvers are now starting the puzzle a day earlier thanks to tatters' generosity (I'm one of them - thanks again, tatters).
76 of 170  -   Report This Post

gitto

27th June 2020, 18:35
Drxx, according to my wife, nobody ( especially on a saturday) is grumpier than me. I draw fine line between spoilers and hints. In the last few weeks it would seem that this site has helped the "other site" more than they would admit, as they have seemed to be rather barren of comments before our helpful nudges. I do not think I am pretentious, but they are, and US helping THEM is the antithesis of their perceived superiority.
77 of 170  -   Report This Post

numbskull

27th June 2020, 18:39
I’m struggling to make inroads to this one. Any hints on the first 12 letter across would be much appreciated. Also its row position would be really helpful.
78 of 170  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

27th June 2020, 18:45
My view is that this site gets it pretty much right most of the time. If you dont want any hints dont look,, which is what is do most of the time till I've finished.

Thought that was very good. I enjoy a blank grid, clues straight forward but elegant, endgame enjoyable. Have absolutely no idea why my top left answer fits the riddle but the sixth word seems to be relevant so I assume it's right. Maybe more will be revealed over the next few days.
79 of 170  -   Report This Post

drxx

27th June 2020, 18:53
The name of a London station (minus its last letter) should help you get started with that one, numbskull.

That might explain something, gitto - I always used the AB thread as an early warning device for my usual Saturday tussle, but it's been very little use of late.
I'm prepared to concede my Mr Grumpy title for the time being.
80 of 170  -   Report This Post