CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

simplesimon

1st July 2020, 17:09
Hi Lilith, thanks for the tip. 👍
161 of 170  -   Report This Post

hhs

1st July 2020, 18:46
First time post having completed puzzle from 12 letter word hints yesterday.Two thoughts ,I have a 5 letter riddle with an o word in for the top right hand corner and if I heed the riddle in the bottom right hand corner I do not follow the 39 cell exit as mentioned ,but an alternative route to exit.
162 of 170  -   Report This Post

drxx

1st July 2020, 19:49
hhs - I think you should have 4 for the top (a c n a) and 6 for the bottom (b c h p d e) and the count of 39 is correct.
Can you be more specific without giving too much away?
163 of 170  -   Report This Post

hhs

1st July 2020, 20:37
drxx l have the O word before the final A as it sounds more correct to me and I think makes more sense to the clue.If I have filled the puzzle correctly I have heeded the instruction of the puzzle in the bottom right hand corner and found a path that involves an abbreviation.
164 of 170  -   Report This Post

drxx

1st July 2020, 21:03
It looks like you've taken 'once' from the definition - 'once out of water', (and it does make the riddle read better) but I think it's a crucial indicator that the answer to the clue is archaic.
There isn't an abbreviation in the answer to the riddle for the bottom quadrant - and there isn't an instruction as such. The answer to the 'riddle' is a pun on the b+c words as they relate to this pursuit of ours (it's an in-joke, really) and the one word 'answer' is simply followed from start to finish.
165 of 170  -   Report This Post

hhs

1st July 2020, 21:32
I see the pun.My abbreviated word is in the path I take if I retrace my step
166 of 170  -   Report This Post

drxx

1st July 2020, 21:51
sorry, hhs, but with alternative paths, backtracking and an abbreviation, I think you might have discovered a dimension I've missed altogether - I just wanted to get out of there!

Hope you've returned 'once' to where it belongs (although that won't affect your progress either way).
167 of 170  -   Report This Post

hhs

1st July 2020, 22:24
I chose the SWAT team exit
168 of 170  -   Report This Post

drxx

1st July 2020, 22:34
I'd avoid any cavity walls (only joking).
169 of 170  -   Report This Post

stockie

3rd July 2020, 20:19
Thanks everyone for their contribution. I tend to give up in frustration when I get stuck having enjoyed the Listener Crossword for many years. I do find this site very helpful to encourage us to keep going and, in this case, to get to the end of a delightful puzzle. Well done Xanthippe
170 of 170  -   Report This Post