CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

26th June 2020, 22:08
LAR
motoring left.
11 of 170  -   Report This Post

drxx

26th June 2020, 22:20
...I think it's time my brain had a rest too (+ a couple of glasses of something).
12 of 170  -   Report This Post

zabadak

26th June 2020, 23:08
I've started doing the Listener again after a long break, partly because I have time during lockdown and partly because I'd forgotten how rewarding they could be. I freely admit this site has been useful for those little hits and kicks that (eventually) let the light in.
Today's I found (mostly) straightforward, and once i worked out what words belonged to which riddle, I found my way out.
No quibble, really, but i was (sort of) surprised that the riddles were not connected but just individual riddles, Easier, mind (and rather a lot fairer) than Samson's about his honey.
13 of 170  -   Report This Post

dylan

27th June 2020, 06:31
Thanks again Drxx, the penny has now dropped for left, but I still don’t get Libya.

For the penultimate down, I now have something which fits the definition of low-calorie, but I don’t see the word play, and whether there is a spare word there.

It would be very helpful to know how many words in each riddle
14 of 170  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th June 2020, 06:35
Hi Dylan,

It looks like a 5 letter word for "cream" minus it's first letter/topping with 'old' as the extra word.

15 of 170  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

27th June 2020, 07:41
Hi Dylan

The three letter IVR for Libya. Comes from the then current name of what was by that time a republic after the deposition of King Idris I.

Lovely puzzle, with most clues on the straightforward side and the given symmetry, as well as known clue order, making the carte blanche relatively manageable.

Very satisfying.
16 of 170  -   Report This Post

lexawkward

27th June 2020, 09:14
Well that was a fun post. Do you suppose we need to move the U as well to its final position, or is it just sufficient to draw the path? Preamble suggests we must escape ...
17 of 170  -   Report This Post

etoucan

27th June 2020, 09:23
"The complete path, passing through cell edges only (not corners), must be drawn."

I can't see how to accomplish this. Any hints appreciated.
18 of 170  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

27th June 2020, 09:44
ET - path NSEW, not diagonal.

LA - what you said. Which means a correct submission will require not only a blank cell to be filled, but a tiny amount of Tippex.
19 of 170  -   Report This Post

gitto

27th June 2020, 09:57
I have now spent more time trying to solve the riddles than it took to solve the crossword. I have answers for the two lower quadrants, the LH one being straightforward, but I have 6 words for the RH riddle and I do not see the relevance of the last three. HW7 - your NSEW has utterly confused me.
20 of 170  -   Report This Post