CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quocunque

14th June 2020, 12:26
Someone said impenetrable. I say obscure. One of those "what a clever setter I am" puzzles. No one tmk has mentioned 1 ac and I've lost the will to live. Any offers please?
51 of 66  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

14th June 2020, 13:00
quocunque (I like the name - trying to remember the church anthem it appears in!)
Remove a word for 'standard' from spare parts and anagrammatise. Definition is a slightly obscure phrase for when a book etc is in the process of being printed.
52 of 66  -   Report This Post

quocunque

14th June 2020, 14:04
Thanks Rog. Don't know the anthem but it's Latin for "anywhere".
I'm no wiser from your tip which also makes my stab at 3dn wrong. I have a word starting with P which can't be right.
53 of 66  -   Report This Post

quocunque

14th June 2020, 14:16
Finally tbe penny dropped. Thanks Rog for putting me on the right track. Didn't know 4 dn so no chance of solving forwards. Probably won't attempt another Enigmatic - unfair IMO.
54 of 66  -   Report This Post

longtimelurker

14th June 2020, 15:03
Can anyone put me out of my misery and help me parse 14d? Shilling rung through again for one enjoying Boxing Day feast.
I've got the answer but can't parse it at all.
55 of 66  -   Report This Post

mackania

14th June 2020, 15:15
A synonym for rung inside another word for again (loose). I hope that helps without giving too much away for anyone else.
56 of 66  -   Report This Post

longtimelurker

14th June 2020, 15:36
Thank you!
57 of 66  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th June 2020, 18:14
Judging by all the comments, it appears unanimous - this was indeed a very difficult crossword. That's not to say it wasn't enjoyable, and there were some very good (and, perhaps, a couple not so good) clues.

Great to see so many new names joining our weekly discussion - it's good to get as many opinions as possible.

Stay safe:-)
58 of 66  -   Report This Post

bagheera33

14th June 2020, 18:58
Hi all, agree with a lot of the comments about this week's puzzle, but I guess as a setter you'll always prefer this of marmite-type response to indifference!

I'm late to the party again (work on a Saturday).. and am still unable to fully parse 5a, 23a, 2d, 5d, 13d. any help much appreciated :)
59 of 66  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th June 2020, 19:25
Hi Bagheera33,

5a definition is "not smiley" - 3 letter synonym for "one" after S(py) + 2 letters for "bill" + F(oot)

23a definition is "bore" - 6 letter synonym for "equipped" around R(iver)

2d definition is "telethon" (as an example) - 7 letter place name of where Ipswich Town play + anagram of "water + duo"

13d definition is "instrument" - 4 letter synonym for "old woman" inside 3 letter synonym for "evil" and 2 letters for "times" (think multiplication)
60 of 66  -   Report This Post