CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

loge

23rd May 2020, 08:31
If, like me, you're giving the numerical a miss, I strongly recommend this weekend's Inquisitor by Ifor. It is superb and a heck of a challenge - you won't get that "weekend off" after all. It seems to be impossible until the penny drops (which took me several hours), then you realise that this is a top-notch puzzle from a fine setter at the top of his game.
11 of 101  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

23rd May 2020, 09:27
Agree. Very satisfying. Got a little distracted by the unclued entry as we found 3 plausible moduli (or is it moduluses?). So it was the usual grind, generating gibberish until the right message emerged. For non-mathematicians, think the compiler’s preamble might have just illustrated how to deal with pairs like 28 or 29, using his example of 30.
Remember happy times over a beer in the pub in the late 70s as the locals competed!
12 of 101  -   Report This Post

lumen

23rd May 2020, 09:27
There seems to be a down clue missing? Starting in the square with capital J.
Every other one has a clue. Can you confirm it's solvable without. I'm making headway slowly.
13 of 101  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

23rd May 2020, 09:30
Lumen. Yes perfectly solvable without the down clue
14 of 101  -   Report This Post

tatters

23rd May 2020, 09:31
As M is simply 2f, the "down clue" is not needed. It all works fine.
15 of 101  -   Report This Post

merenz

23rd May 2020, 10:04
Many thanks again Tatters for your public service. My husband joins me for the numericals so this is one of the four weekends a year he is not a crossword widower :-D We enjoyed this a lot. The message certainly took a bit of finding, but logic came in again with considering appropriate moduli I thought. And the emergence of the theme raised a smile. Thanks for a great crossword Pandiculator.
16 of 101  -   Report This Post

dylan

23rd May 2020, 10:32
All done, but I didn't see how to uniquely solve the *cell, and its two neighbours, without trying all four possible solutions in the decoding part. The rubric implied I should have been able to complete the grid without having to first try the decoding. Was I missing something?
17 of 101  -   Report This Post

cruncher

23rd May 2020, 10:38
For non-mathematicians like me could you confirm how numbers smaller than * but > 26 should be decoded? For example if * is 50 and the pair is 44 does that reduce to 44-26 = 18 or something else?
18 of 101  -   Report This Post

bananabean

23rd May 2020, 10:43
I have 5 possibilities for the filled grid but only one seems likely given our alphabet.

I am puzzled by the instruction "Taking the filled grid’s digits in row order, each pair can yield a letter ". There are an odd number of cells in each row so do we pair the last digit from row 1 with the first digit from row 2, etc? Pairing digits vertically also seems wrong.
19 of 101  -   Report This Post

dylan

23rd May 2020, 10:46
Bananabean, yes, you read from one row to the next, when there are an odd number of cells in a row.
20 of 101  -   Report This Post