CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lumen

27th May 2020, 09:42
The missing down clue was a bad mistake. In this kind of puzzle every piece of info was essential.
91 of 101  -   Report This Post

lwo

27th May 2020, 11:36
The "missing" down clue was surely because there are only 26 letters in the alphabet, not any mistake. In these kinds of puzzle, you need just enough information in the clues to let you solve it, but very little, if any, more. This puzzle seemed really nice to me in that respect. There was always just enough (but not too much) information to figure out the next move.

Interesting to read of people going at this sort of crossnumber by guesswork and backtracking when they reach an error. That's inevitably going to make things very difficult and somewhat misses the point of logical deduction!
92 of 101  -   Report This Post

muraria

27th May 2020, 13:03
I completed this at 3rd time of asking. I made mistakes in my first two attempts (one by not reading the clue properly, my mistake, not the setter's). I didn't guess answers and did not attempt to backtrack as I know this inevitably makes things worse. So hats off to the setter for a great construction and a tough but fair challenge.
93 of 101  -   Report This Post

icarus

27th May 2020, 18:28
Could someone very kindly let me know how one goes about accessing the Inquisitor (a few in here have been commending this week's)? It was not clear to me, for example, whether it would be available via a subscription to the Independent online.

Many thanks,

Pete
94 of 101  -   Report This Post

lumen

27th May 2020, 18:38
I don't think Inquisitor is available electronically. Unless a friend scans it etc.
But it costs £1.20! A bargain. And the paper is good too.
95 of 101  -   Report This Post

muraria

27th May 2020, 19:06
I've been doing the Inquisitor for a few years and it's often as tough as or tougher than the Listener.

If you can't get the paper - and it's a weekend edition so is usually available in shops on Sunday -there are one or two folk on the website who are happy to email it to you.
96 of 101  -   Report This Post

icarus

27th May 2020, 22:13
Thank you very much, Muraria and Lumen, for the insight. I'll try and remember to pick up a copy at the weekend. Quite excited by the prospect! If I have no luck I may gently lean on someone kind in this forum to email a copy. Possibly, of course, the Listener this week will be a monster (as I often find it can be either side of a mathematical) and provide sufficient entertainment. Absolutely loved Pandiculator's creation. Cheers. Pete
97 of 101  -   Report This Post

birduder344

28th May 2020, 07:54
I am still irritated by this puzzle, is there anyone who has completed it who could let me know if what I have done is correct? Perhaps via email to avoid a spoiler alert, or if okay can I list it here? Thanks Rob
98 of 101  -   Report This Post

tatters

28th May 2020, 08:14
Rob - You can mail me at "................. and I will take a look. (Off out at 9.45 though)
99 of 101  -   Report This Post

birduder344

28th May 2020, 08:35
Thanks will send in a moment
100 of 101  -   Report This Post