CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jimbo101

24th May 2020, 10:52
This puzzle has got me so riled up I have registered (finally!) on this forum to get to the bottom of it!

I've only just got into the likes of IQ and Listener puzzles, so this is my first numerical. Having been a maths teacher in a former life I was quite excited....but it makes no sense to me!

I found an in via w, v, x, T, U, W and X. I have reworked it and looked at it numerous ways and cannot find another way to solve the answers I have. Mainly through w only having two possible answers and only one being able to satisfy T, W and X.

Unfortunately, it leads me to 2 possible answers for n, neither of which I can combine with a, A, i and K.

I have Q ending in 5, which seems correct from an earlier post. Is this correct?

If so, is i a fibonacci number, as thats how I read it?
For a does digit product mean to keep multiplying i.e. 325 would give 30, should I then keep going to get 0??

many thanks in anticipation!
41 of 101  -   Report This Post

gem94

24th May 2020, 11:12
Q does end in 5.
Fot i, the clue confused me initially. The a is not italic so the clue is that i = n plus a Fibonacci number.
The digit product is the initial result of multiplying the digits.
Hope this helps.
42 of 101  -   Report This Post

grunos

24th May 2020, 11:25
I’ve gone wrong somehow on this but I can see why. I started with U and X which led to Q and then n , K and A but I’ve ended up with an answer for A that’s incompatible with j and z [i/]. In short I’ve got 9 as the last digit of A. Can anyone confirm if that’s right or not?
43 of 101  -   Report This Post

grunos

24th May 2020, 11:27
Should’ve said “can’t see why” and also didn’t mean to go so crazy with italics at the end there!
44 of 101  -   Report This Post

grunos

24th May 2020, 11:40
Forget all that. I found my mistake. On i go...
45 of 101  -   Report This Post

specsaver

24th May 2020, 11:41
Afraid it is not 9
46 of 101  -   Report This Post

gitto

24th May 2020, 11:42
Failed miserably yesterday due to two false starts - one due to sheer stupidity and a later one due to less stupidity coupled with a glass or two of wine. Decided to retry this morning and have finally cracked this. I did however start reaching for the razor blades when I believed I had nothing but scrambled garbage for the 9 letter word, but google came to the rescue. God knows how people dream up these puzzles, and it is more mystifying as to how they construct them. My sincere admiration for a brilliant puzzle from Pandiculator - now to check out the inquisitors offering.
47 of 101  -   Report This Post

jimbo101

24th May 2020, 11:44
Gem94 - thank you! I had not noticed that the a was not italicised. I'm not sure if that is a clever part of the puzzle or way too ambiguous! I'll see where it takes me now, though.
48 of 101  -   Report This Post

specsaver

24th May 2020, 11:46
I agree totally - very very clever and a mystery to me how it is done. Also had a few false starts and almost lost the plot when decoding initially gave gibberish. Am glad I persevered though Mrs L distinctly underwhelmed at my achievement!
49 of 101  -   Report This Post

casimirxci

24th May 2020, 12:25
Unfortunately having done the entire puzzle twice and checked every step, I am still only getting gibberish from converting the numbers to letters. Are any of the words recognisable as such?! :p
50 of 101  -   Report This Post