CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

diver

15th December 2019, 22:07
This was quite a challenge - more difficult having just definitions and no wordplay. It got easier once a few answers could be fitted into the grid. The definition to form the decagon held me up as I was looking for ‘t??e rather than w??d, but I got there in the end. Some of the t???s were unfamiliar. Let’s hope that next week will be easier as I must get going with Christmas preparations.
71 of 99  -   Report This Post

casanova

15th December 2019, 22:52
Finally got a full grid, but surely the longer answer in 10d (5) should have an e and not an o for the second letter. Otherwise the longer word in 11a (8) is meaningless
72 of 99  -   Report This Post

casanova

15th December 2019, 22:53
Finally got a full grid, but surely the longer answer in 10d (5) should have an e and not an o for the second letter. Otherwise the longer word in 11a (8) is meaningless
73 of 99  -   Report This Post

quisling

15th December 2019, 23:14
Casanova, the 5 letter word in 10d and the 8 letter word in 11a both have the second letter e and that is the cell where they intersect

74 of 99  -   Report This Post

rad

15th December 2019, 23:56
It looks as if Casanova may have missed the removal of a word in 10d. Easily done.
75 of 99  -   Report This Post

casanova

16th December 2019, 08:03
Thank you quisling and rad. Yes I omitted to leave out the extra word in 10d
76 of 99  -   Report This Post

smithsax

16th December 2019, 10:12
Only got to this today after busy weekend. I found the grid fill tedious but the end game was fun. I have no problem with the preamble. All objects completely within the definition wherever you draw the decagon and all in distinct columns/rows.
IT is highly unlikely that all these objects would be found in the same defined area in nature but it is Christmas so will forgive that.
77 of 99  -   Report This Post

cockie

16th December 2019, 15:53
Not my idea of fun, but a fine construction. I have 6 of the 9 things (I had 7 until ule failed the preamble test) - being 2 across and 4 down. I'm assuming that the lower 5 highlighted letters does not do double duty as one of the 9. Would someone confirm that, and solve for x and y in the statement "there are x across things and y down ones"? (I'm also assuming that they don't overlap.)
78 of 99  -   Report This Post

malone

16th December 2019, 16:02
Cockle, I have five Across and 4 Down 'things'. One of the former IS the lower highlighted thing.
79 of 99  -   Report This Post

cockie

16th December 2019, 16:22
Thanks, Malone ... but that would seem to imply that the lower highlighted element (as one of the 9) shares two letters with two down 9s ... and that would suggest that the two across members of the 9 in Row 7 share two letters also ... and that would imply that two of the 9s are the same ... and that would imply that there are 10 9s, because there's another duplicate in Column 2. Or am I barking up the wrong ... oops!
80 of 99  -   Report This Post