CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

planks

14th December 2019, 11:06
I've just downloaded this and read the preamble. Am I the only one feeling less than enthusiastic about trying this one? If I'm reading it correctly there is no wordplay in the clues just definitions and locating an anagram of the two items + cold-solving?
1 of 99  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

14th December 2019, 11:17
That’s about the size of it Planks.

Not much fun.
2 of 99  -   Report This Post

planks

14th December 2019, 11:27
Oh dear, I was hoping that I'd missed some nuance which would make it interesting and worth slogging on....
3 of 99  -   Report This Post

crosswhit99

14th December 2019, 12:16
It's actually not too bad for a DLM crossword, though we don't have the usual advantage that the mixtures have to start at the start or end at the end of a word. Pointer has certainly packed plenty of thematic material into the grid though perhaps it's a pity that one of the nine words of a kind is repeated ?
4 of 99  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

14th December 2019, 12:20
Would I be right in thinking that answers can be entered either backwards or forwards? Having solved enough of the 'full length' answers I find that I can't make them interlock if they are entered in the normal sense (even overlapping the edges of the grid).
5 of 99  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

14th December 2019, 12:22
Forget that - think I've spotted my mistake - typical!
6 of 99  -   Report This Post

logophile

14th December 2019, 12:31
I suspect that the setter expects the 9 words chosen to be all different, which is possible as the solver has a choice in row 7. It's a shame though that the preamble didn't explicitly exclude the possibility of a duplicate being acceptable.
7 of 99  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

14th December 2019, 12:33
The preamble does state that all 9 items are in different rows/columns.
8 of 99  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

14th December 2019, 12:34
Ah, never mind, I see your point
9 of 99  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

14th December 2019, 12:40
Good morning, everyone. As per usual I've completed the grid, but am struggling with the endgame.
I have the theme and have made the one-letter alteration and think that I have the 10 letter rectangle, but am struggling with the decagon shaped definition, which I hope will lead me to the 9 items.
I have a dodecagon, which starts with two similar containers and involves an alcoholic drink. Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong please.
10 of 99  -   Report This Post