CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

9th August 2019, 22:37
Grunger

Thanks. We'll stick with Per for now.

I liked your first listing for Jigjag's designation, but the second can't be referencing me as 'exotic' and 'erotic' are totally inapplicable!

I can cope with 'Ladies', in women's (!) sport when it's something such as Wimbledon, where there's also a championship for 'Gentlemen'. I'd never use it for most sports - ladies football and ladies* rugby both just sound so wrong somehow. I was pleased when some of the clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal, for example, changed the names of their (female) teams.

* I'm in a non-apostrophe mood tonight.
701 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

10th August 2019, 20:31
Wolves Malone and Grunger,

................that was my my initial thought: Women Or Ladies of Very Elegant Style/Sophistication.

But I could not resist the temptation to tease Malone, as I knew she was not a fan of "ladies", so "Loves "it was.

I loved your suggestions though!

I like Malone's "Hum", but is rather like the "Hun", that the newsagent lady/woman uses to greet me. I am rather irritated by "Hello, Hun". I am not sure if she sees Attila-like qualities in me, or if it is short for the awful Americanism "Honey".

I dare not ask her and would not like to upset her, but she calls other customers "love". I am not sure if she is being more friendly to me or less.

Hum or Hun? - I think that on balance, Hum has it.

702 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th August 2019, 20:35
In some Dilbert cartoons, Alice is referred to as "Hun", and it's not a term of endearment!
703 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

10th August 2019, 20:40
ChrisE

Thanks, that's what I feared - she is not being friendly to me!
704 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

10th August 2019, 20:44
jigjag

I suppose it is how she says it - with a smile - or does she look terrified when you enter the shop?
705 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

10th August 2019, 21:30
Jigjag, Grunger, ChrisE

I've made an executive decision - 'Hun' is definitely out of the running. As mentioned in comments above, it has too many connotations.

Jigjag, your Wolves was great, apart from one minor detail … the L in it! And you might have faced some tough questioning from the Trades Descriptions people - the words 'elegant'. 'style' and 'sophistication' are unlikely to be applied to me... ever.

I think 'Hum' has slid down the list - it too has a slightly unpleasant ring (or reek) to it.
706 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

10th August 2019, 22:58
jigjag

I liked "Wolves". It was clever to use a football team knowing that Malone and I do not like the sport!

Malone

I take the point you made yesterday about the non-apostrophe in "ladies" sports. Why do we have "Men's Football", "Women's Rugby", but "Ladies Cricket, Tennis" etc.
It cannot be sex/gender-related as "Men's" and "Women's" have the apostrophe. Logically we should have "Ladies' Cricket" or should it be "Ladies's". It baffles me.
707 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

11th August 2019, 07:37
Grunger

I know what you mean about the apostrophe - or lack of apostrophe - in the various sports. I read an article once about how the word in a phrase could be adjectival rather than possessive, so didn't need an apostrophe. I forget all the detail, but there was lots of other stuff like that. At one point, a sign you often see in hospitals was used - Relatives Room, which I do think looks better than Relatives' Room.

708 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

12th August 2019, 12:58
Feeling rather peckish, I went to McD……., and was pleased that Ivor Berger, the “cashier” who corrects customers’ bad grammar, was there.

“Has Jacob Rees-Mogg been in touch to recruit you for one of his panels?”, I asked.

“No, but he did come here a few weeks ago. He ordered a Julius Caesar salad for himself, and 6 fairly large MacIntoshes for his children. That’s very funny, I told him, but he said he always uses the correct names for items of food.”

“Pity he didn’t order a quarter-pounder, so you could tell him it’s actually a one hundred and thirteen gramm-er”, I replied.

“Yes, then he could have corrected my gramm-ar” chuckled Ivor.
709 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

12th August 2019, 19:07
Jigjag

Another entertaining review from you, but I just couldn't bring myself to put 'restaurant review.' It's a delightful picture to imagine JR-M in McDonalds, though there's a precedent, I believe, as he was in Subway a week or so ago. It's a pity that the baked potato chain, Spudulike, is to cease trading as we could have sent Jacob there. The name itself might have caused him to have a fit of the vapours.
710 of 2514  -   Report This Post