CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

parallelogram

28th June 2019, 22:11
Not sure what you think is correct but its is correct in the example you quoted. It's means it is.
661 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

4th July 2019, 21:50
Grunger, Malone

I am glad to be back from America now, although I had a great time there. I tried to keep in touch with the forum, but had no opportunity to post. I noticed Grunger’s story on McDonald’s 30-minute eating policy and I just had to go there. Daytona was 2 hours drive away, but I combined the visit with a trip to the racetrack.

On entering the restaurant, I noticed a few teenagers gobbling their food and anxiously looking at their watches.

A friendly assistant, his badge showing “Chuck”, served me. “Good afternoon, Mr Yoowout”, I said.

“How do you know my name?” he asked. “You are famous in England” I replied.

“Awesome. What can I get you?”

“I should like the banquet of hash browns for starter, then double quarter-pounder, apple-pie and coffee, please, but I don’t know if I can eat it in your 30 minute limit”

“Don’t worry about that. I’ll give you 40.” He offered generously. “A good tip is to unwrap the pie while eating the burger. That will save valuable seconds.”

I enjoyed the meal. The burger was delicious and I ate as slowly as possible. I took 37 minutes so their ejection policy was not tested, I’m afraid.

662 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

5th July 2019, 06:37
Jigjag.

Glad you had such a great time in America. It was good of you to drive all the way to Daytona and back just to check out a PU story. I guess that's pedants for you, we pay great attention to things.

I'm glad too that you enjoyed your McDonald's meal. It sounded a little stodgy to me, I might have preferred cauliflower popcorn and a tofu burger, but each to their own. I was so relieved to hear that the 'eat within 30 minutes' rule wasn't being strictly enforced. I'm sure the extra seven minutes enhanced your dining experience.
663 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th July 2019, 18:21
Malone

Thanks. I was planning a trip to Daytona as my son is interested in car racing, and after reading Grunger's posting, I had to go.

You are right about the stodginess. The hash browns were served in a large bag- there must have been at least 20, rather like the chicken nuggets your children had years ago. I ate about half of them. The burger really was delicious though, much better than you get here. My son enjoyed his Big Mac.

After the teenagers left, we were the only customers, so it was quite unlike here, where McD is always crowded.

I don't suppose we would have been thrown out, but I imagine Head of Ejections, Chuck Yoowout, really does exist in some branches!

664 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

5th July 2019, 19:47
Jigjag, if I ate 20 hash browns, a double quarter pounder and a portion of apple pie, I'd have to change my name … to Chuck Uppe.

665 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th July 2019, 20:44
that's clever, malone ...I like it.
666 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

5th July 2019, 21:16
jigjag

How amazing that you went to Daytona and the McDonald's. Wasn't it great, (the racing circuit)? Our tour was interrupted by thunder and lightning and we were taken to the Drivers' Meeting Room for an hour. (Not sure about the apostrophe.)

Also visited Tampa Bay Buccaneers stadium, and they took us on the Pirate ship. I quite like American Football. Great tour for 10 dollars.

I got a bit fed up with the "pleasantness" of waiters etc., particularly disliked "How y'all doin'?" but generally liked the service.

I enjoyed the newspapers but was irritated by the random placement of days of the week in sentences. e.g. a "jet-skier in Clearwater Tuesday was rescued by a fire crew...."

This was common.

667 of 2514  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

5th July 2019, 21:38
From yesterday's Times, in the obituary of Neil Young's manager of many decades, Elliot Roberts ...

"On his death, Young called Roberts 'the greatest manager of all time' ..."
668 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

5th July 2019, 22:00
Steve, thanks . That - badly-worded - sentence is the kind I love to hate! It should never have been written and it should never have got past a sub-editor or editor.
669 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th July 2019, 22:03
I remember reading a programme at the RFH that said "Vaughan-Williams commenced composing during childbirth"....
670 of 2514  -   Report This Post