CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

5th July 2019, 22:20
Steve, just a thought … could you add your Neil Young bit to the PU July thread? I was hoping that examples there would encourage more of the same. Things sometimes get lost on this thread, with our occasional meanderings! Thanks.
671 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

28th July 2019, 14:53
I am sure that all Pedants will be delighted that Jacob Ree-Smogg has been given a top job. I have seen his rules and I like most of them. He says that "people must be correctly addressed". Men are entitled to "Esq.", but there is no full-stop after "Miss" or "Ms". I disagree. If he writes to me, I require a full-stop whether he uses "Mrs.", "Miss" or "Ms".

Do men prefer "Esq." to "Mr."?
672 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

28th July 2019, 15:07
Grunger, I've never used full stops on Mr, Mrs or Miss. I've never thought it necessary - in fact, I've never given it a moment's thought! (Incidentally, I seldom use Mr, Mrs or Miss anyway - most of my letters get sent to John Smith or J. Smith, Mary Brown or M. Brown.) 'Esq.' and 'Esquire' are redundant as far as I'm concerned.

You'll be pleased to hear that I did agree with some of Jacob's 'rules'. I'd be happy to see weasel words, such as 'unacceptable' disappear completely. The same goes for phrases such as 'note/understand your concerns'. These are so over-used that they are now virtually meaningless.
673 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

28th July 2019, 16:50
Malone, Grunger, Tyke

I hope you are all well. I have hardly been here the last few weeks with holidays, work and family matters. I realise that I have not replied to your postings but hope to put this right over the next 2 or 3 days.

I like your Jacob RM comments.
674 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th July 2019, 12:15
Malone

I enjoyed your comments about the food in America, and I see that you would enjoy a tofu burger. I saw a recipe in the Daily Mail for a "Tofu and Quinoa salad". There was a photograph but I could not make out what the tofu was. I must go to some supermarkets to look for it.

Grunger

I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday and dodged the thunderstorms. Very sad to read about the Englishman struck by lightning at Clearwater last week. We were there for a couple of days.

Tyke

I could not go to the York match as we took a hastily arranged holiday. Did you go? I saw it was a close match with a narrow defeat for Yorks. I saw S Africa beat Aussies and enjoyed the recent Test Match. If only Chucker O'Mooner had been available! It would have been really close.

675 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

29th July 2019, 16:37
Hi Jigjag - hope you enjoyed the holiday!

Didn`t get to York but it was a big success - apart from the result!
The crowd was 2,560 on the 1st day and 3,021 on the 2nd. With the (dreaded)`100` competition being played at Headingley next year it looks as though York will stage another County match.

I went down to Chelmsford for our 4-day game with Essex and had a great time down there - the natives were quite friendly and seemed to like their `real ale` as much as yours truly! Off to Scarborough in 2 weeks time and Donny`s 1st league game is this Sat so it`s a bit hectic at the moment 😃
676 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th July 2019, 18:16
A good example of the "migrating subject" that makes me wince every time is Jeremy Paxman on University Challenge saying "With an average age of 22, let's meet the team."
677 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

30th July 2019, 22:42
Tyke

The holiday was great thanks. Visited 2 sports stadiums in USA but did not see a game.

Those were good crowds at York. Hope there is one next year. I wont be going to the 100 either. I have never been to Chelmsford but I went to the Ilford festival every year when I was a student in E London. My next match is "Roses T20 at Old Trafford" It was terrific last year and my son wants to go again. I dont mind it on Friday night, but object to it on a Sunday afternoon.

I had forgotten about football, but you have reminded me it is about to start!

678 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

31st July 2019, 11:59
Jigjag

While in Essex I visited Maldon on the Blackwater Estuary. It`s a lovely old town with antique/craft shops on the High St and Thames Barges on the quayside - very interesting.

I only watch T20 games on TV - the recent `Roses` game at Headingley took place in furnace - like conditions ... not sure fire & pyrotechnics were necessary but I suppose the marketing people insist on giving the public a `Blast`.
679 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

1st August 2019, 11:42
Tyke

I am glad you keep out of the Blast Furnace. The fire stuff is completely inappropriate at cricket. I was at Edgbaston 2 years ago and in the wind, it was quite dangerous.
680 of 2514  -   Report This Post