CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

12th August 2019, 22:39
jigjag

I enjoyed the review too. It is good of JRM to tour all traditional British eating outlets to keep an eye on things.

I can imagine the 2 great pedants, JRM and IB slugging it out, with you chucking in the background.

Malone
I didn't know about the demise of Spudulike. I went once and I was pleased they referred to "baked potatoes" rather than the awful "jacket potatoes" or "potato's".

I am sorry that the Green MP has been criticised for her all-woman/lady Cabinet idea. Apparently it is too narrow and she will be expanding it tomorrow. I think we can expect a phone call.
711 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

13th August 2019, 08:54
Grunger

I have to ask - was the 'chucking' a Freudian slip? I assumed it was just a typo, then remembered we were discussing McDonalds meals, so the 'chucking' could be appropriate...

I used to like eating in 'Spudulike', but. always thought the name was decidedly inelegant.

I'm unimpressed with the idea of an 'all-female' Cabinet. I feel it was an attention-seeking move anyway, so I'm opting to ignore it.
712 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th August 2019, 09:20
Grunger

Glad you liked the review. Sorry to hear that the green cabinet is too narrow. I remember from your Spice Girls tour that you have "wardrobe repair" skills. Perhaps you could use these to widen the cabinet, especially as Malone is ignoring it.
713 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

13th August 2019, 09:50
Malone

Sorry about the typo - I read it a couple of times before posting and didn't notice - so it must have seemed right. I like your suggestion which is certainly appropriate. I have had very few McD meals which I thought were poor.

jigjag

I cant do DIY and certainly not joinery, but I think the cabinet has to be widened by women. I don' t know any all-female joiners or carpenters but I am sure they exist. Are they joineresses and is it carpenteress or carpentress?
714 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

13th August 2019, 16:48
Grunger

As typos go, it was a good one!

I'm now pondering over something else you said. 'I have had very few McD meals which I thought were poor'. Does this mean you've enjoyed most of the McD stuff?! I have had the occasional meal from McDs, but only in cases of dire necessity. The food was … fine, I think.

715 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

13th August 2019, 17:03
Grunger

I've realised that I might be coming over as someone who is subjecting your posts to intense scrutiny! I'm not, I just see things (posts) , think things and then … write/type responses. I think I'll let some Forum postings wash over me, let my curiosity go unsated.

PS I certainly don't want joineresses and carpenteresses, what cumbersome words those are.
716 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

13th August 2019, 18:45
Malone

I am actually rather pleased that you are subjecting my posts to intense scrutiny! Firstly, it will improve my careless written English, and secondly, I would not want the world to think I mean something, when it is actually the opposite.

I must admit my English is very sloppy when I post. The words just enter my head and I don't really check if I have said what I meant to. The sentence you quote is a good example. I meant to say "I have had very few McD meals, nearly all of which I thought were poor", whereas I have said the opposite.

So please don't hesitate to question me.

Thanks
G
717 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th August 2019, 19:00
grunger

Like Malone, I read it to mean that you generally enjoy McD..... meals, but have had a few poor ones. This seemed to make sense as I know you enjoyed the one in Florida. Glad to hear the correct version!

I would say that I am not sure about joineress or joineresses, which seem wrong. But I think carpentress and carpentresses must be right, like actress and actresses. If I remember correctly, there was a singing act called "Carpenter and Carpentress". They were unknown until they changed their name.

Malone
I should be grateful if you would question any of my dubious English, or anything else I write!
718 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

13th August 2019, 22:45
stevea6000

I really like your Brando clue for Random on Clueless. It is very neat and reads well. I dont know the rules but I dont think it is too similar to the other one.
719 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

13th August 2019, 23:05
I don’t like carpenteress or joineress.
I really can’t stand the 70s sounding ‘comedienne’. Thankfully, that seems to have died out.

What about waiters and waitresses? Do female waiting staff want to be called waiters?

In S Africa they’re all called ‘waitrons’ which makes me think of some kind of robot.
720 of 2514  -   Report This Post