CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

5th June 2019, 16:10
Malone

Thank you for your interest in my Pie Chart. It has pride of place in the centre of my kitchen notice-board. It shows photos of various pies and the ingredients.

Next to it is my Pi Chart. This shows the ratio of the main ingredient of each pie to the secondary one. So, for example, Steak to Kidney, is a ratio of Pi to 1. Of course, bakeries use a ratio of 22:7 for Pi(e), but I feel this is not accurate enough. I use Pi to 10 places of decimal, 3.1415926536.
This is shown on the chart, but years ago, I created a mnemonic to remember it.

"How I like a pizza, pineapple or tomato, bacon and cheese."

The number of letters in each word represents the value of each digit. This idea is used by many people to remember Pi to hundreds of places of decimal, but surely, in the kitchen, 10 is enough.
621 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

5th June 2019, 16:24
Grunger,

My eyes usually glaze over at any mention of numbers and if Pi is involved I sometimes run for the hills - but your Pi Chart stuff was so interesting, I found myself engrossed. No wonder the chart has pride of place!
622 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

5th June 2019, 16:24
jigjag

I loved the Ivor Berger story. I really was not encouraging you to eat anything there, my remark about the wholesome food was not meant to be taken seriously. Thanks for the wardrobe repairs joke. I must tell that to the girls, if I see them again.

Rosalind

I liked the analysis of the "cheese" in the Big Mac. Interesting that they don't admit there is any cheese in it, just including the small fraction in the unspecified items.
623 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

5th June 2019, 16:37
Malone

Glad you liked the Pi, if not the Pie. I think making up your own mnemonic is more satisfying than the standard ones - easier to remember too.

At school, we had to learn a ridiculous one for the order of the planets. It started "mercifully venerable earls........." but that was all I could ever remember. I have managed for years on:

"My very elderly mother just showed us nine planets" which is neat and accurate. Of course I don't accept current nonsense that Pluto is not a planet.
624 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th June 2019, 16:48
grunger

I'm pleased you liked the Berger story. I knew you were joking about the food - I just had a coffee.

Your Pi/Pie posting was brilliant, and I like your mnemonics, neater than the ones I use. I agree about Pluto. The planet was named after Popeye's old adversary, so it is real enough
625 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

5th June 2019, 16:50
Grunger, I admire your creation of your own mnemonics - a word I've always liked, incidentally. The only thing is … I've never needed to know the order of the planets or the decimal places in Pi. I can vaguely remember being given one - a mnemonic - for the colours in a rainbow, but I have never needed that information either. My brain seems to weed out all superfluous stuff!
626 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th June 2019, 17:06
Would that have been Richard of York gained battles in vain, malone?

One of my chemistry students invented one that I thereafter used:
many elephants paint balls pink, having had over nine drinks

I'll leave it to see if anyone can work out what it was for!
627 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

5th June 2019, 17:22
That sounds about right, ChrisE - and now I'll have to delete that information all over again!
628 of 2514  -   Report This Post

ginge

5th June 2019, 18:09
chrise, hydrocarbons.
629 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th June 2019, 18:24
Well done, ginge! Specifically the prefixes that give the number of carbon atoms in the chain.
630 of 2514  -   Report This Post