CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

5th April 2019, 16:05
Malone

That's very kind of you. Glad you enjoyed it.

Tyke

Yes, most batting teams struggling (not Notts!). Thanks for the tip about York. Hoping to go with son for 2 days and possibly combine with a visit to Railway Museum. I haven't been there for many years. All depends on the weather of course.

I love Trent Bridge and have booked tickets for a World Cup match there.
391 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th April 2019, 16:41
Malone

How about this for a co-incidence. I mentioned Cheshire Oaks in a posting this morning (re fast food), and I have just read in the "City People" column of The Times that "Leon, the fast food chain,...................reaching every city in the world with the arrival of new restaurants in Dublin, Cheshire Oaks, London and more international cities."

We discussed cities months ago, but I never thought my local shopping centre would become one.
392 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

5th April 2019, 16:51
Jigjag, I remember Citygate* very well - there was some heated debate at the time. Your city piece was interesting, just to show the nonsense that is foist upon us. For most pedants, it's the accuracy of things that matter - not just being picky for the sake of it. I wonder if Cheshire Oaks is enjoying its new status?
* I hate '-gate' - as a lazy device in reporting - and am trying to use immersion therapy on myself. If I use words and phrases more often, will I become desensitised to them? H'mm, I doubt it!

393 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

5th April 2019, 17:06
jigjag

It was very funny. More please! I loved Isla Scrubbitt. There is no dishwasher of any kind in my local one. My pet hate there is "mayo" instead of mayonnaise. I bet Ivor would sort that out. Mayo is a county in Ireland and not a sauce as far as I am concerned.
394 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th April 2019, 19:47
grunger

thank you for your comments and I'm pleased you liked it. I am not keen on mayonnaise or whatever they call it, although I like Salad Cream. I suppose it is the American influence that has led to increased demand for the former to the detriment of the latter.

Malone

yes I remember the strong views expressed on your Citygate. As Cheshire Oaks is in Ellesmere Port, it must be the only city in the world that lies within a town. Perhaps Vatican City is another. I will ask the in-laws at the weekend about their new status.
395 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

6th April 2019, 17:52
Last night on Newsnight there was an item about `Indicitive Votes` in Parliament ...

... Bring back Paxman - all is forgiven!
396 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

9th April 2019, 14:49
malone

Do you read the Daily Mail? I dont but I have just seen last Saturday's. On the City page, a headline caught my eye - Co-op link to Tesco.
I remembered you discussing this possibility a few weeks ago, and you invented the CoCo brand. It seems it is not a merger but Co-op are taking over a small Co following the Tesco model (whatever that is).

So as you are so good at predicting the future, would you please let me know this Saturday's winning Lottery numbers.
397 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

9th April 2019, 18:35
Grunger, thanks for your supermarket sweep, keeping us up to date on what's happening in the world of mergers and acquisitions. Your timing was good as I'd just spent the whole morning discussing this very subject. There were some important people at the meeting. You may have heard of them - Tess Co, Mark Sand-Spencer and Al Dee. We were disappointed that the Tesco and Co-op merger now seems unlikely. The CoCo brand attracted a lot of favourable comments at a recent focus group.

NB. As for your comment about me supplying you with Saturday's winning lottery numbers - I should Coco(a)!

398 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th April 2019, 19:16
I'm looking at aTV onscreen listing:
"Secrets of the National Trust"...with Alan Titchmarsh. Alan returns to take viewers behind closed doors at some of the wonderful sights owned by the National Trust.

I suppose he could argue that they are "wonderful sights" too (though I don't suppose that he personally wrote the heading).
399 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

9th April 2019, 20:06
Thanks, ChrisE - I hate slapdash things such as that, errors that should have not got through.
400 of 2514  -   Report This Post