CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

alwayspuzzled

1st April 2019, 18:10
Heard yet again from a quiz show contestant introducing himself: 'I was originally born in....' That begs the question as to where they were subsequently born.
361 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st April 2019, 19:02
Mmm, alwayspuzzled - check what "begs the question" actually means!
362 of 2514  -   Report This Post

hannah

1st April 2019, 23:13
I checked, with no less an authority than "Grammar Girl" . .

As I did so, I couldn't help but notice the title of another of her informative articles: "How Do Words Get In The Dictionary?"
363 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

2nd April 2019, 00:15
Personally I don`t think anyone owns language. People invent new words because society is always changing and the new words become accepted. Dictionaries try to keep up with change and are always adding/discarding words - some Dictionaries seem to be more respected than others, while people tend to like a particular version. I`ve always preferred Collins while crossword setters seem to favour Chambers !
364 of 2514  -   Report This Post

hannah

2nd April 2019, 01:20
My 'gripe' was with the "in/ into" usage . .
365 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

2nd April 2019, 11:55
Sorry Hannah - I`m obviously not `into` irony !
366 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

2nd April 2019, 21:20
Just saw on a dessert menu: Chocolate and orange mouse cake.
367 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

3rd April 2019, 12:45
Malone, jig

I was wondering what you thought about the news that Asda has overtaken Sainsbury's in terms of sales. Does it make the merger more, or less likely, more or less? Will it affect any possible branding? Do you have any humorous comments? Sorry, a lot of questions there.
368 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

4th April 2019, 07:09
Thanks, Grunger. I'm afraid my interest in supermarkets extends only as far as playing with the names, branding! I'll have a think, see if I can come up with any other avenues for the pedants, including myself, to stroll along.

Jigjag, if you're looking in... did you see yesterday's Times? I liked 24 D - One character abroad, two would be stylish (3). It reminded me of our earlier discussion of chichi supermarkets.
369 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

4th April 2019, 14:53
Grunger

I dont think the increased market share for Asda makes the takeover any more or less likely. However if J Sainsbury does acquire Asda, it will be a "reverse takeover", where the smaller company acquires the larger one. This is important as the "reverse" aspect will give creative people like Malone the opportunity to play around with the words and produce some amusing names!

Malone

Yes I liked the clue and it did remind me of your chichi CoCo store which I hope you have opened. I have been involved in a few deals (not the Sada one) recently and with family stuff, I have not been able to post, although I have tried to look at this thread most days. Btw I am going to McD....... tonight and hope Ivor Berger will be there!
370 of 2514  -   Report This Post