CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

5th April 2019, 12:08
Good afternoon to you, malone. The paired appeared twice so I don't think it was a misprint. I also checked whether pair was an alternative spelling of pare.

You mentioned a long thread about yesterday's Times crossword but I have been unable to find it. Is it on this site? Thanks.
381 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th April 2019, 12:17
Malone

I see what you mean. I took it to mean a TV series but it could be a cricket series with the Ashes coming soon.

Grunger

Are you a cricket fan? Tyke, Hannah and I (and possibly others) are.
382 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

5th April 2019, 13:59
orson

I think it is the Personal Chatty Thread
383 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

5th April 2019, 14:01
Malone

I meant the TV series. I am not a proper cricket fan, but I have been to some County matches. I hate football though.
384 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

5th April 2019, 14:49
Orson, thanks for the 'paired' update. Making a habit of the error is deplorable. Sorry I couldn't remember the PCT title - I couldn't check as I'd have lost my half-written response to you.

Grunger, I'm delighted you weren't talking about cricket, something I can't stand and ignore as much as possible. I did a thematic puzzle yesterday, then Jigjag had a couple of cricket references... I was beginning to feel the world was out to get me!
385 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

5th April 2019, 15:04
Talking of football ... pundits delight in accusing teams/players of being `laxadaisical`
This seems to be an amalgam of lackadaisical and lax - either of which would probably convey what they mean !

Jigjag ... pleased to hear from you - we can have a break from Brexit
and look forward to the summer sound of leather on willow !
386 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th April 2019, 15:08
I had been looking forward for some time to another visit to McD……., and I went yesterday, hoping that Ivor Berger, the “cashier” who corrects customers’ bad grammar, would be there. I was thrilled that he was and I joined the queue for his till, even though it was the longest. I noticed that there was a large number of elderly customers, and that they had plates and cutlery. When I reached Ivor, I thought I should mention these matters.

“Yes, these old people have been coming for a few weeks. They applaud when I correct a customer’s bad grammar”, he said.

A young man politely interrupted our conversation to ask for some “ketchup”. “It is tomato sauce, not ketchup” replied Ivor, as a few people in the queue clapped.

“Of course, these people bring their own plates, and knives and forks, and the company now has a dishwasher to clean them”, continued Ivor.

“But surely customers won’t wait half-an-hour for a dishwasher cycle”, I said.

“I mean a REAL dishwasher – Isla Scrubbitt. She cleans and dries them in no time.”

Now that’s what I call Customer Service!
387 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th April 2019, 15:18
Tyke

Yes I agree. Theresa was desperate for Brexit before the season so she could resign and have a lovely summer of cricket.

Great that the County season started today, although it is very cold here for April. Looking at the fixtures, I am hoping to go to York as there may never be another chance. Probably not to the 2 Newports though (S Wales and IOW!!)
388 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

5th April 2019, 15:31
Jigjag, what a wonderful restaurant review - oops, I really mean 'what a wonderful review of a restaurant'. It was a delight - far more than any burger, even on a plate - could ever be. Thanks!
389 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

5th April 2019, 15:35
Jigjag

I`ve been to Hove and Southampton but would love to `do` the IOW !

Hope to get to York for at least a day - suggest taking your own seat as there is sure to be a large crowd going!

Yorks at Trent Bridge today - bit too chilly for me just yet! 😎
390 of 2514  -   Report This Post