CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

15th April 2019, 15:00
It gets my goat when people (nearly always BBC presenters) pronounce homage with no H and so as to rhyme with French fromage. It has always rhymed with West Bromwich, with the H sounded. This is a recent affectation with no authority for it whatever. Check out many a hymn and poem.
421 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

15th April 2019, 15:31
One of my pet hates, heard all too frequently on radio and TV, is the construction "it is impossible to underestimate the contribution...." when (I assume) "overestimate" is intended.
422 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

15th April 2019, 15:36
orson

I agree - it is not a French word
423 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

15th April 2019, 15:42
orson and chrise

BBC people also keep talking about stonewall penalties in football. This came about a few years ago when a pundit said "stone wall" instead of "stone cold". The error has been allowed to continue.
424 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

16th April 2019, 07:43
Jigjag, Grunger, ChrisE, Orson … et al, thanks for all the posts. I've been away for a few days and now that I'm back, I've enjoyed catching up on all the funny, informative and interesting points raised.
425 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

16th April 2019, 15:34
grunger

Funnily enough, I have also been away for a few days (work, not visiting supermarkets with Malone unfortunately). There was no need to apologise. When Malone mentioned the "plant kitchen", it seemed feasible, and I went to M&S to ask about it. I was expecting an area of plants (I know they have them at Christmas) not a small fridge.

Malone

Hope you had a good break and that you spotted some items of interest to Pedants. I enquired at the market about the ladies you mentioned. Rose Hip has got a new job in an upmarket florists, and Cherie is touring Europe with an ex-PM. Anna is still working for Ivan as a fruit arranger. I had an interesting chat with him and I must do a report.
426 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

17th April 2019, 07:43
Jigjag, your frequent trips to the market lead me to think that the 'Plant Kitchen' would be an ideal shopping location for you. I was sorry to hear that the M & S branch you visited featured only a small fridge. Still, if you continue to visit the market, chances are you will soon be very proficient in relocating apostrophes. Greengrocers are, I believe, responsible for many of the error-strewn notices - 'Pear's 5 for £1', for example.

427 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

17th April 2019, 12:23
Malone

Yes, I do enjoy my trips to the market. There are many interesting people there. I went last Saturday hoping to speak to the Cockney greengrocer, Ivan Napple.

As I entered, I could hear shouts of “Fiver day, get yer fiver day”, so I knew he was there. I enquired about mushrooms, as I wanted to in on the mushrooming Vegan craze.

“Sorry, sold out. Same yesterday. It’s because of that TV programme. Ggregg Wallace says you can cook them so they taste like steak. Of course, he used to be a greengrocer, so you think he would know the difference.”

“He used to deliver to this market many years ago and his enthusiasm drove you mad. He said he could turn chickpeas into chicken, now it’s mushrooms into steak. What is he – a magician?”

“Talking of magic, a couple of dodgy characters were here earlier asking about magic mushrooms. That must be the sort Ggregg was talking about.”

“They are something different. Don’t try them or you will be seeing things”, I replied.

“I‘ve seen enough of mushrooms …. and Wallace” he said.

428 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

17th April 2019, 12:53
jigjag

thats amusing and informative. I didn't know GW was a greengrocer. I thought he was a food expert.
429 of 2514  -   Report This Post

simond9x

17th April 2019, 14:18
Orson - my pet hate too. Even my step-daughter rhymes it with 'fromage' (although she is immediately corrected). It ranks alongside using 'of' in place of the verb 'have' for me.
430 of 2514  -   Report This Post