CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

17th December 2018, 12:49
Hi Williamseal. I suppose I've been solving the Listener puzzle in excess of 20 years. To begin with I wasn't very good, there wasn't any online assistance, and I'm sure many puzzles were left incomplete.

The 'two threads' issue. A couple of weeks ago there was a bit of an argument. One of the issues was that some solvers asking for help want only to receive hints, not answers. Another issue was that there are sometimes questions from solvers which go unanswered.

In fact neither of these issues are recent, and the argument was indeed an argument waiting to happen.

So the suggestion was for there to be, each week, one thread where there are only hints and nudges, and another where it was admissible to give answers. You may have noticed that Wakeling began the 'Listener 4533' thread this week which de facto has become the 'hints' thread, then later I introduced the 'Listener 4533 Answers' thread. It has been quite interesting not least because everyone who has since commented has done so on the 'answers' thread. Of course there may well be many other people who have not commented, who have only visited the 'hints' thread.

In theory, if someone wanted to, they could give a very full answer on this thread, the 'answer' thread, for example revealing the title and author of the book etc., since anyone not wanting to see answers could prevent themselves from looking on the 'answers' thread, and instead ask for a hint on the 'hints' thread.
51 of 65  -   Report This Post

wakeling

17th December 2018, 13:56
Hi - Meursault. I couldn't help noticing that , given the choice, everyone went for the thread which offered answers. Perhaps we have overestimated the demand from people who just want hints and nudges. For my own part, before I started contributing, I only went onto this forum when I was stumped and needed enough to regain momentum. Having even one clear answer has been a boon but I didn't want to see strings of them nor the overall theme.
52 of 65  -   Report This Post

meursault

17th December 2018, 14:36
Hi Wakeling. Perhaps so, though they are quite vocal...

Even this set up isn't perfect, and you illustrate why. If person A wants only the answer to a (and not to see any other answer), person B wants only the answer to b, person C wants only the answer to c...then it becomes impossible for each of those people to have what they want.

But at least now there is an option for people who don't want to see any answers.
53 of 65  -   Report This Post

simond9x

17th December 2018, 15:09
As someone who often needs a hint to unblock an impasse, I prefer not to see answers inadvertently. This week's was more straightforward and I didn't need to come here for a hint before completing (although I did ask about some parsing after the event). So, I appreciate Meursault setting up up a second thread where full and open discussions can take place. I'd ask that we continue having a separate thread where hints and nudges can be requested without fear of inadvertently seeing other answers. I know I'll need to use it going forward! Cheers.
54 of 65  -   Report This Post

bazotto

18th December 2018, 15:07
After a couple of days of wanting to tear my hair out but yielding to the inevitability of age getting there first, I have everything bar the final letter of 42 and would appreciate the answer and a parse. Thanks. Meursault (my predictive text is in English, French and Dutch and inevitably wants you to be Furniture! ), I see you were unwell earlier. Hope you're feeling well enough to face the hangover season.
55 of 65  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th December 2018, 15:22
Hi bazotto, "d", L + (ague => eagu) + (w)ed; W extra.
56 of 65  -   Report This Post

meursault

18th December 2018, 16:14
Hi Bazotto, thanks for your good wishes, and the same to you in return. Though rumour of my illness is an exaggeration. I'm at an age where a few of my peers are not so well, but fortunately I cling on to fitness for now. I completed some good climbs in the Highlands just a week or so ago. Now, my advice for the hangover season is not to drink more than usual. Once I realised the truth of that I never suffered from a hangover again...
57 of 65  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

18th December 2018, 17:53
As is often the case, I have gone from the excitement of getting a few quick answers, through a harder slog to get more whilst still convinced I can go it alone, to a desperate few hours of occasional inspiration, to finally admitting defeat and coming here. Like the split posts. I had 95% of the grid but just a few too many omissions to cross the line. I have all now apart from a NW corner haze. Could I just have the 2nd letter in 1 down as a nudge please?
58 of 65  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th December 2018, 18:00
Hi rrrobbo, "a".
59 of 65  -   Report This Post

charlesberg

21st December 2018, 14:46
Hi all. On the off chance that anyone is still checking this, I should be grateful for a final confirmation. I have two last answers to fill in which I think I have answers for but cannot parse. 14a I have a plural for a type of blue gemstone. Then for 4d I have an unch which I cannot satisfactorily solve. I have a two word phrase which fits (and appears in the chambers word wizard) but I cannot seem to find a definition of it which would fit the clue or parse the first half (I have the second half and the extra letter). Could anyone please confirm that I am on the right track or nudge me if I have strayed off course... Thanks in advance.
60 of 65  -   Report This Post