CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gem94

15th December 2018, 22:50
Casanova - it's not the clues you have to cut/fold but the .....
21 of 65  -   Report This Post

casanova

15th December 2018, 23:07
Thank you gem 94. I get an idea into my head, and then I cannot see the alternatives.
22 of 65  -   Report This Post

turast

16th December 2018, 05:22
I hope it's not giving too much away to make it clear that once you have identified the 5 superfluous words in the clues, you then have to find them (all across on the left) within the completed grid. The words located in the grid are the ones you have to operate upon. You don't need to get the scissors out yet, but, once you've identified (all across on the right) the book title (6, 6) and the author (1,1, 7) and googled same, you'll see why the "Blue Peter" skills and highlighters will come in handy.
23 of 65  -   Report This Post

planks

16th December 2018, 09:07
Hello all, I’ve only just started on 4533 but I’ve been filling the time finishing off 4531. I’m hoping someone will put me out of my misery. I’ve got the extract, filled the grid and done the highlighting but, try as I might, I can’t identify any logical “source” among the first letters of the clues in order. I’m obviously missing something - anyone able to help? Please.
24 of 65  -   Report This Post

simond9x

16th December 2018, 09:16
Sorry planks, I didn't manage to finish 4531 (way above my pay grade!)

meursault - thanks for setting up a separate thread for answers. I think it's worked quite well.

I've completed 4533 but appear to have an erroneous M in the surname of the author (6th letter) but can't see if/where I'm wrong. I also have a couple of parsing queries which I may come back for help on.
25 of 65  -   Report This Post

unclued

16th December 2018, 09:19
Planks, I think from memory the source CHAMBERS appears later on in the initial letters of across clues and continues to the down clues. The first few initial letters don’t yield anything sensible.
26 of 65  -   Report This Post

unclued

16th December 2018, 09:22
Simon the 6th letter is an O from SHUT OUT.
27 of 65  -   Report This Post

planks

16th December 2018, 09:28
Thanks unclued, you’re absolutely right. I was expecting something much more obscure after the struggle with the rest of the puzzle.
28 of 65  -   Report This Post

simond9x

16th December 2018, 09:32
Thanks Unclued. I'd actually got 40 wrong (spelling it with an M, which seemed to fit the definition but left me with one of my parsing queries in the wordplay).
29 of 65  -   Report This Post

simond9x

16th December 2018, 10:28
Finally resolved remaining parsing queries except 35 which I just can't see (I only have it by virtue of the letters in the down answers). I also don't see the relevance of the title.
30 of 65  -   Report This Post