CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

3rd December 2018, 17:31
Many thanks all of you. You are totally right. The problem was I only saw one instance of 10 in row 4 and missed row 5 but the Wikipedia entry makes it clear. I was also looking for the first definition of the 10 letter word from Chambers which clearly isn’t in the grid.
131 of 188  -   Report This Post

foinaven

3rd December 2018, 19:41
I can see three representations in the grid.

One of them is a ten letter word

The second is a mathematical expression 'in words'

The third is a mathematical expression in which the letters are interpreted as numbers. Strictly speaking there is an ambiguity which requires the use of parentheses to resolve, but I think mathematicians would agree on which interpretation to accept, on the basis that the alternative could be represented in another way.

So I appear to have 23 cells to highlight. Two of them are use twice.

I certainly don't see why the unclued answer 'contains the theme', although I would be highlighting its final letter.

And I cannot make a great deal of sense of either the corrections or initial letters of clues 'in normal order'. In a crossword, initial letters of two lights are given only one number. The clues are then listed in two groups - first the across clues and then the down clues. This does not give me anything very useful though there are bits and pieces which I expected to see.

Having spent a great deal of time on the jigsaw, much of which wasted since I had the long words wrongly placed, I am now feeling a bit cheesed off at these final ambiguities.
132 of 188  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd December 2018, 20:47
Hi, Foinaven,

I don’t think we are required to highlight the unclued answer. The preamble says “solvers must highlight two other representations”. As already noted, this means highlighting 16 cells.
133 of 188  -   Report This Post

foinaven

3rd December 2018, 21:04
My last post was very dim. I had read 'unclued answer' as 'answer to starred clue not in Chambers' and I was wondering what that had to do with the theme. Apologies.
134 of 188  -   Report This Post

unclued

3rd December 2018, 21:10
Finally finished and I am sure I would have given up if it had not been for planks post #79. Thanks to everyone else who has contributed. Hopefully there are now a lot more people over the line with the help given here in what has been the hardest puzzle for some time.
135 of 188  -   Report This Post

macky

3rd December 2018, 22:27
Thanks for help.I am stuck on grand style clue and gunshot wound clue. I am not a robot.
136 of 188  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd December 2018, 22:39
Hi, Macky,

“Grand style, superior in quality”: definition is last three words, misprint in second word.

“Court of Session’s expert witness mostly coming in second for gunshot wound”: definition is first four words, with first three words being a hint for a Scottish word that can mean “expert”. Misprint in last word. “Second for gunshot” implies U (second letter), and corrected last word has a one-letter contraction. These two letters contain what’s indicated by “mostly witness”.
137 of 188  -   Report This Post

smartie

3rd December 2018, 22:50
Grand style becomes grand stale. Def. is superior in quality - think medals. I know the answer to gunshot wound but can't parse the wordplay. Def. is Court of Sessions (as in Scottish) expert.
138 of 188  -   Report This Post

smartie

3rd December 2018, 22:55
Thanks Wintonian - I can now parse gunshot wound!
139 of 188  -   Report This Post

macky

3rd December 2018, 23:51
Thank you.I am not a robot.
140 of 188  -   Report This Post