CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

2nd December 2018, 20:49
I've found the unclued theme and one representation of it (2 words, suitably positioned in the grid). I don't suppose that counts as two representations? If only, because then I wouldn't have to bother unravelling all the corrected letters and putting the clues into the correct order. I feel as though I've spent enough time on this!
91 of 188  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd December 2018, 20:52
Rotational, merenz. And I'm fairly sure a 1 has to go to a 0 (O) for the clot remedy.
92 of 188  -   Report This Post

smartie

2nd December 2018, 20:57
I find using an Excel spreadsheet makes it easier to move answers around until I find the right fit. I was lucky that my first guess for the position of the two 12 letter entries was correct. The spreadsheet makes it easier to spot potential solutions from there. I'm not a robot either!
93 of 188  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

2nd December 2018, 21:04
I gather you have 'previous' with people on this and other fora. It is now not hard for me to understand why.

I tried to help, but at the same time not to give help so explicitly that it spoiled the enjoyment of someone looking in but trying to find their own way to the solution. I did that based on the fact that if I wanted help with 6ac I would prefer a gentle nudge or cryptic hint, as opposed to "the answer is IGAPOS" (for anyone reading this, it isn't).

I provided several hints which others (and you) seemed to benefit from, only for you to return the compliment by saying that I had been an unhelpful clever clogs. It was a cheap and nasty dig, and I didn't deserve it.
94 of 188  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd December 2018, 21:49
I'm always up for a challenge and these puzzles are not supposed to be easy but I thought there were too many layers of difficulty (blank grid, misprints, particularly hard clues and a message from the corrected letters that did not appear at first - this making it impossible to guess at words) in this one and that took something away from the enjoyment. I think if there are going to be some harder elements, there should be an easier one to compensate.

I've still only found one of the representations along with the word that gives the theme (the title gives it away so maybe there's the easier element). I'll keep half an eye on this thread until I retire and I'm willing to dish out help!
95 of 188  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd December 2018, 21:52
And as soon as I post, the second representation stares me in the face. Think how numbers changed in the clues and became letters!
96 of 188  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

2nd December 2018, 21:56
Oh dear. Hope we can move on from the disagreements. As an outsider I don’t see anything offensive here but I’d probably feel different as the object of the comments. You are all trying to help and it is hard to get the balance right as we all need differing levels of help. It is also hard to force oneself to struggle on without looking here when one knows there will be help. Again, we all have different levels of patience for a variety of reasons. What we all have is the option to skim read as necessary to get the level of help we need. Me, I spent a day with pyrotechnics and a few more and nearly came here. I then read the preamble again, which reminded me of the alphabetic order. I must stop skim reading the preamble. That helped but not enough to stop me finally coming here tonight. So, thanks all. I have put the longies in and hope that will do me. Skimming the comments, I sense I will be back.
As for the robots. I work in IT security. It is an evil place but not much is more destructive than the global time wasted looking for traffic lights, shops, buses etc. Especially on a phone. Still, it beats trying to figure out wonky blurred letters. The internet will self destruct soon enough and then we won’t have to worry about who helped who too much and stupid robots. And many of us won’t be able to do the Listener any more. Might be a relief 8-)
97 of 188  -   Report This Post

meursault

2nd December 2018, 22:47
Hi rrRobbo, he fell out only recently with Keepatit about something trivial. On that occasion I tried to make the peace...now I wish I hadn't bothered...
98 of 188  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd December 2018, 00:24
Just limped over the finishing line. I found this puzzle particularly challenging because many of the clues did not reveal themselves for quite a while. Thanks to various hints on the forum, I eventually got started on the grid fill, and things moved quickly once I had a few letters to help with unsolved clues.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
99 of 188  -   Report This Post

merenz

3rd December 2018, 08:33
I am close to limping over the line. But I have two blank squares. Is this right or has something gone wrong in the grid fill? I can see one almost representation of the theme but I’m not very happy with an I in amongst it which really ought to be an O. Still looking for the second representation but, thanks to an earlier comment, am searching for something involving digits... it is eluding me this far however.
100 of 188  -   Report This Post