CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

2nd December 2018, 20:01
I too have AGA SAGA for 1a (second clue) but that requires the element number to be 31, not 32. So we change a 2 to a 1? Does that mean the letter is I (capital i)?

I have experimented with the 12-letter answers in the first and last columns and I haven't tripped yet, but it's somewhat nerve-wracking as I expect to trip up soon and have the whole thing crashing down.
81 of 188  -   Report This Post

planks

2nd December 2018, 20:03
You are very welcome indeed, sometimes we bears of little brain have our uses.
82 of 188  -   Report This Post

meursault

2nd December 2018, 20:06
Sorry Planks, that might have come across the wrong way...

Orson, I think it has to be 'i' for 1 replacing 2. The preamble cites corrections to misprints, not corrections to what the misprints represent.
83 of 188  -   Report This Post

planks

2nd December 2018, 20:10
not at all meursault. I have often referred to myself as such. You have helped me very often in the past I am happy to be able to reciprocate for once.
84 of 188  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

2nd December 2018, 20:17
I take it that jibe was aimed squarely at me? I tried to balance providing a nudge with not actually filling the grid for anyone. It was kind of some to appreciate any guidance I could offer, and a great shame to read such an ill-tempered remark especially given the number of times I'd revisited the thread to try and help.

I offered help in full sincerity. I'll get my clogs ...

P.S. And no I'm not an effing robot - I'm with you on that one Cockie!
85 of 188  -   Report This Post

smartie

2nd December 2018, 20:19
Orson - have faith in your first and last columns position hypothesis. It worked just fine for me. The five letter answers with unusual start/ends really helped to get things going.
86 of 188  -   Report This Post

planks

2nd December 2018, 20:25
Oh dear, I hope we're all friends again by the time I get back from Singapore. This one is a real stinker, I'll leave finishing it until I'm in the air. Bye all.

I don't like the effing robots either!!
87 of 188  -   Report This Post

meursault

2nd December 2018, 20:26
The thing about helping people, S_Pugh, is to try not to bring judgement into it. If you judge whether someone needs help, then you say "they should be able to see that for themselves...", "they've got more than enough help already" and you don't help them. And people who are more clever than you don't ask you anyway because they don't need to, so you end up helping nobody.

Sometimes I've answered the same question 3 times in a week. I don't judge because of that. If I didn't want to help I wouldn't. But I don't go all mealy mouthed and say "I can't really tell you that..."

Also you got preoccupied about 'giving the game away', which isn't what the Crossword Help Forum is concerned about. There is no morality problem with helping people to complete a puzzle.
88 of 188  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd December 2018, 20:27
Thanks, smartie. I was surprised at how quickly I was able to fill the grid, by taking a few leaps of faith (it's not that bad as there are few alternatives) and I was able to solve clues that had until now baffled me just by doing word searches and seeing what might fit. I still have to do the end game, though, and I have to look for one clue answer.
89 of 188  -   Report This Post

merenz

2nd December 2018, 20:48
I’ve solved 27 clues with a fair handful of those coming from you lovely folk. Thank you

I have another number misprint at ‘remedy for clot’ so am wondering if there might be a number in the extract?

I’m going in with the scissors and squared paper, starting in the 1st and last columns (if I’ve analysed the thread right!). In terms of the placement of those, is it purely rotational symmetry (so 2 squares above or below) or is there refectional symmetry also for the two 12 letter downs?

Wish me luck!
90 of 188  -   Report This Post