CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

casanova

5th December 2018, 17:14
Thank you, Keepatit. Quite devious wordplay.
171 of 188  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th December 2018, 18:15
I thoroughly support the notion of a separate thread to discuss what ought to constitute help. This one was hard enough without having to search for needles of help in masses if contemplative discussion haystacks. Still, I guess it made me do more myself. I also support the “SPOILER” header notion. Help should be help. Lack of help means people might give up and the Listener dies. There are no great prizes here. I understand people’s irritation with too much too soon but we also need to get real about the stakes. Most people probably don’t even enter the competition. It’s just a crossword gang.
172 of 188  -   Report This Post

rad

5th December 2018, 19:44
Simond9x

I agree wholeheartedly - thank you for your clear proposal.

And thanks as always to many others for their helpful and relevant comments.
173 of 188  -   Report This Post

casanova

5th December 2018, 20:50
Still musing about derivations of a few answers. Some seem to be a bit tentative. I think the answer to 2d. must be Ganesh, but save using a synonym such as geriatric for elder and selecting the first two letters, I cannot see from where the g is indicated.
174 of 188  -   Report This Post

keepatit

5th December 2018, 20:58
Casanova, gan is an old-fashioned past tense of gin, or begin, so it means started
175 of 188  -   Report This Post

casanova

5th December 2018, 22:18
Hello Keepatit,

I looked at that, but I couldn’t reconcile an e with no. 11 initially. I mistakenly thought it should be ne.
Anyway why is the first part of the clue in difficulties. Anyway thank you for the explanation. I shall try and forget about the crossword and get on with the Christmas cards!
176 of 188  -   Report This Post

casanova

5th December 2018, 22:21
Hello Keepatit,

I looked at that, but I couldn’t reconcile an e with no. 11 initially. I mistakenly thought it should be ne.
Anyway why is the first part of the clue in difficulties. Anyway thank you for the explanation. I shall try and forget about the crossword and get on with the Christmas cards!
177 of 188  -   Report This Post

smithsax

5th December 2018, 22:42
Casanova - the eleventh letter of difficulties is an e. The zero in 10 is a misprint. It should be a 1 making No 11.
178 of 188  -   Report This Post

meursault

6th December 2018, 00:16
Much of this very interesting, as various people attempt to assert their idea of a fiefdom. Ibsen had a good shout at this, The Master Builder, I think. Good show, and if all of you show up regularly, day after day and week after week, to help the people asking for assistance throughout the week, and satisfy their requests for help every week, then I will be able to retire very happily. We'll see.

I think, in future, if I provide assistance, I should merely provide a link to another thread on this same site. It would be labelled something like Meursault's House of Horrors 4532. Don't want to go there ? Don't.
179 of 188  -   Report This Post

casanova

6th December 2018, 08:25
Hello Smithsax,

finally got it. Thank you very much for the clarification.
180 of 188  -   Report This Post