CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

27th November 2018, 21:51
mrobo - is that a typo? I have four instances of the highest score split evenly.
71 of 96  -   Report This Post

drxx

27th November 2018, 21:55
sorry for the misspelling rrrobbo.
72 of 96  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

27th November 2018, 22:55
Ooooo. I must be missing one. Been a tough day on the eyes. I’ll check tomorrow when the Southern Comfort has worn off. My grid looks like the wrong sort of artillery has been used too. Couldn’t find a pencil when I started......
73 of 96  -   Report This Post

smartie

27th November 2018, 23:31
Rrrobbo - I think you missed either clue 4 or 16 in your calculations. The hundreds, tens and units are good....
74 of 96  -   Report This Post

smithsax

28th November 2018, 14:03
I have spent a bit of time trying to resolve the ambiguity of 16 locations of interupting letters and I may have come up with a solution.
Firstly I assumed that “interupting letters” in the penultimate sentence of the preamble referred to all instances of the particular letter that does the interupting, not just those instances that actually interrupted a ring entry - so the centre letter can be counted.
I think you have to assume that “location” refers to a specific place on the page so it is not logical to count 2 or more uses of the same location as separate locations.
I think “16 in all” means 16 separate locations of the letter rather than 16 scores. Indeed I have 17 scoring entries.
I have 12 instances of the letter in the rings and one in the centre. I also have three radials with no use of the letter (7, 8 and 20). I assume these shots missed the target and scored zero. So all I needed to do was to write the letter in three random locations outside the target (outside the outer ring) and I now have 12 + 1 + 3 = 16 locations.
A bit convoluted but the only way I can make it work.
Or 16 might be a typo.......
75 of 96  -   Report This Post

piffleworthy

28th November 2018, 16:22
Still grappling this one. Even with all your helpful posts I am only just out of the stalls.

Am not sure I understand buzzb at post 61. Do you mean to refer to ring 3, clue 1?

This is a toughie and I'm wondering if my clues are misprinted! Thanks
76 of 96  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

28th November 2018, 16:56
Ah yes. I was missing the extra for 16 having had a 6 letter word beginning in. I had forgotten to go back to it after finding the bitumen. So, now I have 17 hits. Still works for me though. 16 occurrences of the interrupting letter but 17 hits. Cheeky Phi 8-). Now. Those scores must mean something......perhaps it’s Phis telephone number 8-).
77 of 96  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

28th November 2018, 17:01
Hi Piffleworthy. Not sure what was meant previously but 3,1 is 4 letters with one letter in 3 other running in alphabetic order. It’s not a word I had heard of. Well, I have ‘heard’ of it, but not spelt thus or with said meaning.
78 of 96  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

28th November 2018, 19:05
But the only way you can get 16 is to count the single O in the centre 4 times and the single O in ring 6 once. But what would be the logic for treating these two cells so differently? Either there should be 4 Os in the middle and 2 in ring 6, or one in each. To treat one one way and one the other with no instructions that this is what you should do makes no sense.
79 of 96  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

28th November 2018, 19:52
I see it that ring 6 clearly shares answers but has 2 shots whereas the centre does not share answers. Plenty of room in the middle to be separated too. If they weren’t separated, logic suggests all answers should have 7 letters. I personally feel that the final answer only works one way regardless of all the speculation and I would have no leniency as a judge.
80 of 96  -   Report This Post