CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

elle

30th July 2019, 20:18
Hi, Rusty!
I am thinking that my daughter can check out the Swanage locations.....find the streets, see where exactly the properties are, what they look like, and what the parking is like?
I am concerned about the one that states "parking is in nearby roads"?
It can do no harm to look into the matter?
Let's forget about the clue.... I am obviously misunderstanding the reading of it.
No, no sun!!
That is nice that you have heard from La Bamba!
28471 of 30765  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th July 2019, 20:27
Years ago (about 40!) we backpacked from Sandbanks (via ferry) to Exmouth - a great walk. We were using a guidebook that marked pubs - a tankard for a pub, an overflowing tankard for a pub not to be missed. It wasn't wrong about those!

The highlights were The square and compasses at Worth Matravers, and the pub at Osmington Mills (I forget the name).

Did you look at the Red-billed leiothrix? Astonishing to find in a European location!
28472 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

30th July 2019, 20:56
Yes, Chris, I know Worth Matravers.....
And I think you must mean "The Smugglers' Inn" at Osmington Mills?
We have stayed several times on a farm just outside Weymouth......Osmington Mills is only about five miles way from there.
Yes , I looked at the bird..... although I would have had no idea of its name, had you not said.
It is beautifully marked.
28473 of 30765  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th July 2019, 21:01
I don't know if The square and compasses is still the same (as I said, it was about 40 years ago), but the main room had benches around the side, all facing inwards. It made it inevitable that everyone talked with everyone else (how very un-English!)
28474 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

30th July 2019, 21:04
Hello, Elle!
Yes, La Bamba always remembers me!
If your daughter has a smart 'phone she can take pics of the properties and send them to you?
Does parking in nearby roads not appeal to you?
Millions of folk park in nearby roads.
I find it difficult to understand why you have a problem with the clue.
Every word means something.
It is very straightforward.
28475 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

30th July 2019, 21:33
Hi, Rusty!
I'm thinking of the difficulties of unpacking the car......it would be good to be near the holiday house for that.
We should be "self- catering" - and would have clothes, food, possibly bedding, and towels, dog basket ... not to mention the cat..... to carry from the car to the house.
I would not mind leaving the car further afield later, after unpacking, if that were necessary.
We do not have a driveway, or a garage, here at home, and have to park the car on the street, but that is usually conveniently outside our house.
I have seen plenty of photos online......I just need the area checked out.
I know it is more common to take things on trust, but as my daughter is going there anyway......why not take advantage of that?
It has finally stopped raining!
28476 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

30th July 2019, 21:50
Hello, Elle!
Yes, I am sure your daughter will do the needful.
It is still quite warm here!
Now, I have been on YouTube and found Simon doing today's puzzle.
He may explain 2d to you much better than I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TSOqpxy8FI

28477 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

30th July 2019, 22:17
Hi, Rusty!
Thank you for the link!
I skipped to the relevant section, but Simon said nothing about the clue making sense, or otherwise, when read in its entirety.
He simply parsed it in the same way that you and I did.
I am happy with the parsing, which I could see straightaway once you told me the answer!
I shall put it behind me!
There will be another puzzle along tomorrow......
I may cope better with that one!
28478 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

30th July 2019, 22:50
Hello, Elle!
And Simon did say it was "very difficult"!
Yes, there's always another puzzle!
I look forward to Wednesday's as it's the toughest of the week!
I am sure you will do well tomorrow.
I noticed at the start of Simon's vlog he did yesterdays puzzle in was it 4 minutes?
Quite incredible, these top solvers!
28479 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

31st July 2019, 10:11
Good morning, Rusty!
A fine sunny day here.
I am just back from a pleasant invigorating walk---it has been cool enough to walk briskly.
I have a coffee before me, and am printing out the crosswords.
I am not holding out much hope for my being able to complete today's puzzle, if you think it will be a harder one than that of yesterday.......
I may play some Katie Melua to inspire me!
28480 of 30765  -   Report This Post