CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

29th July 2019, 20:05
Hi elle
broadbrush?
rough (outline). Not sure why outspoken gives BROAD, though (abroad?)
SOLID I - the name for / symbols
28451 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

29th July 2019, 20:07
Hello, Elle!
Just found out they will be home a week on Wednesday!
For, 1a, I have "broadbrush", which could mean "rough"?
21, a "solidus" is a "/" slash, plural is "solidi".
Substantial is "solid" with "i"ncomes, primarily.
28452 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

29th July 2019, 22:21
Hi, Rusty!
The girls still have over a week to go then.......
I'll bet they are having a great time!
My elder daughter and the boys will be here by then.
As far as I know, they are arriving on Saturday.
I already have the beds made up!
Thank you for your help with the puzzle.....those are both new words to me...and not easy to see from the word work?
Or was I just being slow on the uptake?

Hello, Chris!
Thank you.
Those are new words to me.... I have never heard of either "broadbrush" nor "solidi" And I couldn't arrive at the answers through the parsing ,either
Did you see the message I left for you earlier in the morning, about books?

Hello, Ros!
I had to smile at your comparing your grandson and my dog in their attitude towards having their teeth examined!
I've had to look in my TV guide to see what is on...but I'm guessing you are watching the Genealogy programme..."Who Do You Think You Are?"
I have never seen it, but have been told snippets.
Is it a good programme?
28453 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

30th July 2019, 07:31
WDYTYA, as we genealogsts call it, is essential viewing for us! Although I often think thatthe subjects probably have no idea how long it might have taken to unearth the documents they are shown. It is great on human interest (it was suprising, to say the least, to see Ian Hislop crying where his crofting ancestors lived.)
Last night the subject was a stunning actress of whom I have never heard, who took a DNA test and found both Irish and Nigerian genes. She went to several islands in the Caribbean and found she had ancestors in different families who were both overseers and slaves, one of the latter being noted as African. This could have been the Nigerian connection, though there were a few gaps in the tree.
The only person I thought came out of the experience not-so-well was Anne Reid, who seemed totally disgusted (and not with him!) that an ancestor was executed for forgery (a cheque or cheques I think). Whatever we may think of the laws that long ago, people (including a few children) were executed for less. Her ancestor knew what he was doing and the consequence if discovered.
When Michael Parkinson was approached, he said there was no one interesting in his background, they were all agricultural labourers. The producers said "Nonsense, everyone has some interesting ancestors). So they did the research and found he was right.
My DNA test showed 3% Norwegian i.e. Viking
28454 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

30th July 2019, 10:56
Good morning, Rusty!
A rainy day here!
But luckily for me and the dog, the rain did not start until after we were home from our walk., else we should have got very wet!
I think it is now expected to last until late tonight.
No plans for today, other than a bit of general housework......and another dog walk this afternoon.
So a relatively easy day.....
I shall first, though, have a coffee and look at the crossword.....
What are you up to?

Hello, Ros!
I can arouse no enthusiasm for discovering ancestors.......although I have been interested, and have responded, when an existing newly found relative has got in touch.
A third cousin - of whom I had never heard - from Manchester, contacted me a few years ago.....
And we now stay in regular touch, although (as yet) we have never met in person!
28455 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

30th July 2019, 11:07
Good morning, Elle!
It is a beautiful day in my neck of the woods!
I have been out and about earlier.
I have the rest of the day to myself and that's fine by me!
28456 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

30th July 2019, 12:56
Hi, Rusty!
I envy you your lovely day! it is raining quite heavily here.....
I have had quite an unexpectedly productive morning......one small task led to another, and I feel quite gratified by my results!
I have also been browsing to see if I could find suitable holiday accommodation for us, complete with dog and cat, for a week in Swanage, later in the year.
My daughter's going there next week has brought forth nostalgia for the times we all used to spend holidays there!
Have you done your crossword puzzle?
I still have two clues I cannot do.....
28457 of 30765  -   Report This Post

cerasus

30th July 2019, 13:18
@Elle
I do not normally post here, but my mother still lives in Swanage and today I heard this latest. It is bad news especially if there is an emergency

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-49163027
28458 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

30th July 2019, 13:22
Hello, Elle!
Yes, lovely weather here!
And there is a bit of a breeze.
Any luck with the Swanage booking?
I see Lassie on the nest today.
I'd imagine she'll be heading for Africa soon.
I finished my puzzle earlier.
It was a good one today.
1d is a new word to me.
28459 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

30th July 2019, 13:57
Hello, Cerasus!
Thank you for that update...... what a business!
I wasn't thinking of going there until at least October...but my daughter and family are going there this coming Saturday!
I have sent her the link that you kindly provided.
Forewarned is al least forearmed!
It is a long drive round through Wareham!
28460 of 30765  -   Report This Post