CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

14th June 2019, 11:09
It's an obsolete name, though - they're now Homo.

What was the clue?
27751 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

14th June 2019, 11:25
Hello, Elle!
Your Outlook access sounds much like my Google Photos access.
I have gmail installed on all my devices, but I don't use it.
Maybe you need a gmail address for it, though?
Over on AnswerBank, Buenchico is the Technology expert, and he often recommends GMX mail.
I don't know enough about the various email services to help you, other than BlueMail and BT Mail suit my simple needs.
I have an idea that your daughter may find your missing folders in Outlook, though.
I have had a trawl through some of the sites and there is a "pane folder", I think it's called, and that provides access to folders, with a click.
I could be way out, but I just can't see Outlook getting rid of files and folders, that millions of their users have, and use every day.
That would be madness!
27752 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

14th June 2019, 11:26
Rusty (and Elle), yes - pithecanthropus was the word, and what a wonderful one it is! It simply sounds so good, it wouldn't really matter what it meant. The clue was fair and quite generous, the setter did very well there.
27753 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

14th June 2019, 11:31
Hello, Malone!
Yes, it was a very gettable clue.
I liked it.
Well done, the setter!
27754 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

14th June 2019, 11:37
Update, Elle!
Did you try out your new word on the neighbours?
Have a look at this.
If the pane folder is not set properly, you won't see your folders, apparently.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/show-all-folders-b977276a-ffa3-4f6c-9839-b9e6a736e154

27755 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

14th June 2019, 11:40
Chris, this is the clue for 11a.
"Ancestor of mine: the fellow isn't able to get personnel work (15)"
27756 of 30765  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th June 2019, 11:44
Thanks rusty - lovely clue! I particularly like the misdirection of "mine"
27757 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

14th June 2019, 12:19
I agree, Chris, and the colon worked well, too, I thought.
27758 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

14th June 2019, 13:03
Hi, Rusty!
You are an absolute genius!
I had never heard of the "Folder Pane", and indeed I had great trouble finding as it did not have a title, nor did it present as described in the link....
But I discovered it eventually under the guise of three parallel lines to the left of my Inbox email page.
I clicked on this...and yes - very well done! - the Folders have reappeared!
So thank you very much indeed for your help and perseverance!

However , all is not yet plain sailing as there are still a lot of other problems to be sorted out, that have occurred since the disastrous "Update"....
Hundreds of obsolete long deleted attachments have reappeared...and are "flooding" my computer.....most of them long ago daily crosswords sent for the last few years from John!
And I can find no means to delete them.
Hopefully, my daughter will be able to do so!

And, rather upsettingly, a few people who had died, and whose names I had removed from "My Contacts", have been.....er......."resurrected", shall we say?
I do not know how this can happen?

I do wonder why the service engineer could not come up with a suggestion such as you just did?
At no point was I offered any constructive help from the service....nor it would seem were any of the other folk on the Helpline, who were asking similar questions to mine after the Update upheaval.
I think it is a disgrace.

Thank you again for your help.
I would make you a cup of coffee, and offer you a chocolate muffin if you were nearer!
27759 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

14th June 2019, 13:22
Good afternoon, Elle!
A fine day here!
Oh no, no thanks to me, thank Mr Google!
Did your sub-folders etc turn up, too?
If your deleted stuff has returned, it looks like all your data, past and present, is stored on the Outlook servers, or cloud?
I am sure there will be a way of deleting old stuff, but what?
There will be info on the Internet.
I'll have a look, after I make my well earned coffee!
27760 of 30765  -   Report This Post