CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rusty

14th June 2019, 13:35

rusty

14th June 2019, 13:50
Elle, this could be helpful?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/delete-all-email-messages-70763b76-f79b-4d03-9840-b20e5f91e393

Outlook looks very complex compared to my simple systems!
27762 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

14th June 2019, 14:14
Good afternoon, Rusty!
It is very difficult to explain the entire situation to you.....
From what I have gathered from the comments/ complaints from fellow sufferers, sent after the troublesome update, Folders disappeared from the Inbox email page to be replaced some days later (as happened to me ) with mysterious icons in their stead....
( I have also seen this for myself on a friend's Outlook Inbox page .....which was why I was so convinced that it was nothing that I personally had done to mine!)
These icons led to other pages full of "old" attachments! (some from several years ago)
No one seems to know why or how these are now there....
Thank you for your link...but I am not having trouble with my "normal" deletions...... it is these extraneous attachments that I want rid of!
And there is no deletion button that I can find.......
But at least I now have an operative email system again, thanks to your help!
And my daughter might be able to sort out the rest on Sunday.
(She thinks the whole taradiddle might be to do with "coding" ?)

I wandered out into the street, ready to say to any passer -by "Great Jumping Jehosophat, you look just like my pithecanthropus!"....... but no one came along.......
27763 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

14th June 2019, 15:56
Hello, Elle!
"Coding" is for the experts!
I would try "click and hold" on the icons or extraneous email "headings" while pressing "delete" key, to get rid of old icons and their folders.
Or, await your daughter on Sunday.
Your Outlook seems to be very "user-unfriendly", yet millions use it and are quite happy with it!
27764 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

14th June 2019, 17:10
Hi, Rusty!
I have been enjoying the afternoon sunshine, out in the garden.
We have bought some more fuchsias for the patio pots and hanging baskets, and have been planting them.
They are looking very attractive......I am very pleased with our efforts.
No, I cannot make all the past unwanted attachments disappear, Rusty...no matter what I do.
But I am just happy at present to be able to sort out the rest of my escalated email!
I think the problem a lot of us "Hotmail - now - Outlook" users are finding is that we all loved "Hotmail" in its original setup - it worked great for umpteen years (18 for me!) and so we are all reluctant to let go......
We are hanging on in the hope that Outlook will back off.... and stop trying to "improve/ alter everything!
"Why mend what isn't broken?"
Even now, I am considering staying with the set-up......provided that my daughter can "fix" the remaining problems!
Maybe something to do with "better the devil you know..."?
Am I mad...or what?
27765 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

14th June 2019, 18:24
Hello, Elle!
Sunny here, too, but I'm right out of fuchsias!

This article shows how to delete "attachments".
Worth a try?
https://www.lifewire.com/delete-attachments-outlook-1173695

If you like Outlook, stay with it.
But, as I said earlier, it does not appear to be very user friendly.
I know I would not go near it, but my needs are much simpler.
Your Outlook is certainly fixable, if you knew but how, so you'll probably stay with it once it's fixed.
See how your daughter gets on, and if she can't fix it, a five minute chat with your local computer repair shop will do wonders for it, I'm pretty certain!

27766 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

14th June 2019, 19:28
Good evening, Rusty!
I love fuchsias!
Thank you...I have read the link you sent.
Now the strange thing with "my" accumulated old attachments is that they have ALREADY been taken out from their respective original emails ....(NOT by me!).....
And are NOW stored in Folders bearing exactly the same names as my previously "missing" folders, but with the headings that these are specifically for "attachments" only......
Various attachments are in differently named folders...but the majority are John's old crosswords stored in a folder named "Inbox - for Attachments"
I will emphasise that these duplicately named folders were not created by me ...and I have no idea from whence they came!
( I told you it was complicated and unbelievable!)
I hope my daughter will come in her guise of Sherlock Holmes, or Hercule Poirot with his little grey cells, and help solve the mystery!
Or maybe I have stumbled into a "Time" problem...... and need Dr Who?
It is certainly weird.....

Now on a lighter note....I read in my Bill Bryson novel that he visited Pine Mountain because it sounded (quote) "the sort of place where you might bump into John-boy Walton"...!
27767 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

14th June 2019, 19:45
Hello, Elle!
If your attachments are all in one folder, it will be much easier to delete them, I'd say?
Did you try deleting using that link?
You'd have to find on your Outlook page, just where the "attachments" menu is.
Is there an "attachments" heading somewhere on the page?
Within that, there should be an option to delete, I'd guess?
If you could explore "Inbox-for attachments" there may be an option to delete, too?
I'm sure your daughter will crack it!
Does she have Outlook, or is she sensible?!
I liked John-boy, but Erin Walton was my favourite!
27768 of 30765  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th June 2019, 19:49
The finish of the Dauphine was exciting! I like the winner, but the second place (by less than half a wheel) did very well too!
27769 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

14th June 2019, 19:56
Update, Elle!
Here's Erin Walton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QitIZNEOYts
27770 of 30765  -   Report This Post