CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

6th April 2024, 00:36
Well, the contrast with last Saturday could hardly be greater. This was more like Monday fare, if not easier. I’m afraid I can’t even muster up enough enthusiasm to select a COD, though the clues were all perfectly pleasant and smooth, I suppose. FOI 2, LOI 4. But I’d like much more of a challenge on a Saturday.
1 of 49  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th April 2024, 01:38
Thanks to Carpathian, who I don't recall seeing (at least recently) in the Prize slot.
Definitely on the gentle side, reminded me of an Everyman in some ways though a tad more challenging.
Agreed that the cluing was smooth and I'll even say elegant to a degree.
I enjoyed quite a few clues, though there weren't any blockbuster standouts.
FOI 10, LOI 18.
COD definitely 5. Second tier runners-up 8, 17 and 18, third tier of favo(u)rites 9, 4, 14 and 19.
Given the gentleness I was expecting a Nina or theme. Can't see a Nina. Couple of theme possibilities but not overly strong ones.
2 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th April 2024, 01:39
Thanks to Carpathian, a new name to me, for a more gentle but still enjoyable Prize crossword.

I think it's good that the Prize puzzles cover the full spectrum of difficulty levels. the easier ones give encouragement to those less familiar with cryptics, while the harder ones keep the rest of us on our toes:-)

If you do get stuck, there is at least one long anagram and at least one hidden, both in the downs.

The only clue I had trouble parsing was 5d where, for some reason, I had convinced myself that Hugo was referring to the French writer and politician! Once I'd rid myself from that notion, the wordplay was clear.

I don't know if this was intentional on the part of Carpathian, but the word "green" appears in 3 clues and can be associated with a few answers too.

Did you enjoy the fact that it was a bit easier than usual, or do you prefer the Prize crosswords to be a sterner test? Let us know in the comments.

Stay safe:-)
3 of 49  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th April 2024, 01:41
Brendan, I agree with your theme comments.
Currently putting the finishing touches on my income tax return (it being early April in USA), so easier puzzle works this evening.
4 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th April 2024, 01:42
Good to hear from you Geeker - when you were later than usual posting I wondered whether you'd been affected by the earth tremors we've been reading about in New York.
5 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th April 2024, 01:48
Looking at the answers again, far too many can be associated with "green" for it to be a coincidence.
6 of 49  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th April 2024, 01:50
Yes, Brendan, I did feel a tremor!
Really funny...there was an odd rattling that I couldn't trace, but I didn't feel any shaking. Thought it might have been the fridge or heating baseboards until I (about 1.5 hours later) heard about the earthquake.
I am solidly within the contour of 3.0 Richter effect as shown by a USGS diagram.

It's the 3d mini-quake I've experienced in NY State. First circa 1981-2, second circa 1984-5. During the first 2 I was in bed and felt a slight shaking.
7 of 49  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th April 2024, 02:00
I expected the puzzle an hour later! Since the switch to Daylight Savings Time here it had been appearing at 8 PM rather than 7, but tonight's was back to 7 for some reason.
8 of 49  -   Report This Post

dhope

6th April 2024, 04:10
Yes a very gentle offering today, in fact so gentle that I finished in record time without having to consult forum for help!! No complaints from me, I enjoyed the Easter special challenge and the delightfully amusing April Fool offering ,this completes a perfect week .
FOI 12a
LOI 4d
COD 22d although there wasn’t an obvious winner!
Enjoy your weekend .
9 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th April 2024, 04:29
Okay, so far I've found at least 11 clues where green can be placed either before or after the answer, are a shade of green, or are connected to green in some other way - by definition, for example.
10 of 49  -   Report This Post