CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dobby

6th April 2024, 06:01
Wonder whether a mistake resulted in this crossword being posted as a Prize Crossword.
11 of 49  -   Report This Post

teacher

6th April 2024, 08:43
Definitely on the gentle side. Completed over my first cup of tea. FOI 9a. LOI 10a

I prefer a more challenging Prize, and enjoyed last week’s, but hopefully it encourages more people to have a go :-)

And it leaves more time to get on with other things… Happy Saturday everyone!
12 of 49  -   Report This Post

jono

6th April 2024, 08:44
It does seem to be the first Prize puzzle for Carpathian, who has set the cryptic before but is mostly known the Quiptic. She is also Vigo in the Independent.

I also see today that the Guardian has launched a new Saturday puzzle called the “Quick Cryptic” designed for those just learning cryptic solving.

Here is Puzzle No.1 also set by Carpathian…
https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/quick-cryptic/1
13 of 49  -   Report This Post

geting

6th April 2024, 08:53
Excellent idea
14 of 49  -   Report This Post

jono

6th April 2024, 08:55
I also read that the Quiptic is moving to Sundays. Seems that Alan Connor is mixing things up a little.
15 of 49  -   Report This Post

drjax

6th April 2024, 08:58
Finished this one before I’d had my Saturday morning tea in bed so definitely easier. 5d COD though I rather liked the easy but clever 10a - using conjunctions in the wordplay often catches me out. I prefer a longer solve on Saturday as now I’m going to have to find an alternative entertainment over breakfast!
16 of 49  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th April 2024, 09:26
Carpathian is one of my favourite setters, but I didn't think this was very good. I found it rather repetitive. I don't think "green" is a theme, just a mistake. Also "pub" and "church" appear more than once.
I've never come across 3d as a word by itself.
Isn't there a tense mismatch in 15a?
17 of 49  -   Report This Post

jono

6th April 2024, 09:37
I think “making” is a link word in 15a, so not part of the definition.
I also noticed pub and church and a lot of two-part constructions, e.g.
A is B + C
A is B in C
put B next to C to get A etc.

I enjoyed the new Quick Cryptic which was very accurately clued I thought.
18 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th April 2024, 10:58
Hi Jono,

@13, under which heading is this? I've looked under both Quick and Quiptic but can't see it or a 'Quick Quiptic' heading.

(I need to use my Guardian app as they link you have is proving a bit problematic, closing too early or vanishing if I switch tabs to use Chambers etc)
19 of 49  -   Report This Post

jono

6th April 2024, 11:16
Hi Brendan , it’s “Quick Cryptic” under its own heading. Try this, the link is at the top of the page.

https://www.theguardian.com/crossword

Not on the App, but don’t get me started.That’s become a personal crusade! 😂
20 of 49  -   Report This Post