CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

6th April 2024, 11:29
Thanks Jono but I'm still not getting it. I have the Guardian app on my phone (the newspaper not the puzzle) and have all the headings ie., blog, quick, cryptic, prize, weekend, quiptic' etc but no 'quick quiptic'.

I'll leave it for now as I have to take my friend's dog out for a walk (although, as he's been diagnosed with inoperable liver cancer and the hospital intend to move him to a hospice, it seems he's now my dog!)

I'll look again when I get back.
21 of 49  -   Report This Post

jono

6th April 2024, 11:34
Brendan, if you can access the blog, there is a link in there.

Sorry to hear about your friend.
22 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th April 2024, 11:46
Got it, thanks Jono.

I clicked on 'blog' as you suggested, then on a link for 'quick quiptic' and that took me to... an article by Alan Connor [I]about[/I] the puzzle which contained another link to the puzzle which you then have to click on to open it!!

Could they make it any more difficult ?
23 of 49  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

6th April 2024, 12:12
To be fair to them, brendan, the link that jono posted took me straight to the crossword home page where the Quick Cryptic appeared as the second crossword from the top.
Took me about 2 minutes, as opposed to 4 for the Prizeā€¦!
24 of 49  -   Report This Post

samuipete

6th April 2024, 15:00
Hi Rogissimo, agreed. My quickest Prize Crossword finish by a long way. Cheers.
25 of 49  -   Report This Post

snowwhite

6th April 2024, 15:02
So nice idea to introduce a Quick Cryptic, but not then replace the actual cryptic with one too! A very disappointing and simple write-in. Why 2 easy cryptics in one paper? Hope not a sign of things to come.

No enjoyment or satisfaction at all with this.
26 of 49  -   Report This Post

roof

6th April 2024, 17:10
Well after last week, I enjoyed both Cryptics. It took me 10 minutes to do the quick cryptic (a bit slower than some, but somewhat longer to do the prize cryptic). But I have finished it in between getting the washing in etc. There are several clues I haven't quite parsed (10,11,14,1,4 and 5) though I'm sure of my answers and expect my friend to confirm and explain them tomorrow. 4d gave me the greatest doubt for the first 4 letters.

It is good to have the occasional easy puzzle and I liked the idea of the quick cryptic. Since I take the paper in hard copy I had no trouble finding it after we'd done the quick crossword over lunch.

Brendan, I agree with you that there is a bit of a green theme.
I too had trouble with Hugo at 5d!
And I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but good to get a dog (name, sex?).

I did finish last week's beast, filling in the last few on Easter Sunday. Even with that I had doubts about the parsing for one or two.

Now, I can get on with my book and my crochet!
27 of 49  -   Report This Post

roof

6th April 2024, 17:11
I forgot to say FOI was 9ac, LOI was 4d and COD was 20ac.
28 of 49  -   Report This Post

abz

6th April 2024, 17:23
I counted 12 solutions which had a green theme. Much, much easier than usual but I still struggled a bit to get it finished.
29 of 49  -   Report This Post

darla

6th April 2024, 17:35
Jon, whom should I write to to register my dismay over the status of the app?
30 of 49  -   Report This Post