CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

6th April 2024, 22:44
pault - as one of those who is probably in your line of fire, I wouldn’t say that there has been any humblebragging going on (I don’t see the necessary ostensible modesty or self-deprecation!)
But in my view, the Prize crossword should involve an element of challenge. The Guardian does indeed offer a wide range of crosswords, from the Quiptic (and now the Quick Cryptic) through the Cryptics which themselves vary in difficulty to the Prize (with the Observer’s Everyman usually falling on the easier side). But the Prize is (or should be) something to aspire to. What’s the point of making it a Prize if it’s easier (much easier, today) than the average? And as I, like most (but of course not all) people, have more time on a Saturday than on a weekday, I do feel rather deprived if the Prize takes me only a very few minutes.
I hope that today was a one-off, as I think the Guardian would be shooting itself in the foot if it were to make a habit of publishing Prize crosswords that are, frankly, easier than the easiest Quiptic, as today’s was.
41 of 49  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

6th April 2024, 23:08
I’m still not sure I understand the issue, brendan. It’s true that there is not yet a general ‘Quick Cryptic’ heading at the top of the Guardian Crosswords home page, but the Quick Cryptic No. 1 appears on the list of recent puzzles, and did this morning.
42 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

7th April 2024, 03:24
".... it's true there is not yet a general Quick Cryptic heading at the top of the page" - why not?.

Imagine any other businesses introducing a new product, only to find that when you go to the products section you see they haven't provided a link. You complain, only to be told that it's really not important because the product can be reached via their blog section or under a list of those recently sold.

That is the problem.

Anyway, I'm losing the will to live having to explain this, so I'm done with it.
43 of 49  -   Report This Post

geeker

7th April 2024, 03:52
Here's a strange thing:

In the blog entry introducing the Quick Cryptic,
https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2024/apr/06/a-new-guardian-crossword-the-quick-cryptic

there is a link to a Quick Cryptic section analogous to the others,

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/series/quick-cryptic

The Guardian omitted linking to that in the bar at the top of the main crossword page.

I chalk it up to a typical Grauniad slip which likely will be cleaned up within a few days.
44 of 49  -   Report This Post

jono

7th April 2024, 06:39
Some of you might be interested in a BBC radio 4 programme tonight at 7.15 uk time on the history of crosswords.

It features, amongst others, Alan Connor (Everyman and Guardian editor) and Victoria Godfrey (Carpathian).

More here…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001y22r

45 of 49  -   Report This Post

pauly

7th April 2024, 07:28
"pauly
read 5 upwards as 1,4,3
19 the key is in front of you!"
Thanks chrise.
46 of 49  -   Report This Post

philo

7th April 2024, 12:27
Thanks for the link, Jono
47 of 49  -   Report This Post

samuipete

7th April 2024, 13:02
Many thanks for the link Jono.
48 of 49  -   Report This Post

fernie

9th April 2024, 21:16
Actually it's called "Quick No 1" on the list of crosswords in the Android app. There's no 'cryptic' in the heading.

In sympathy with the other poster (apologies can't see the name when I'm posting) I don't find this Prize any easier than previous ones. Also the Everyman is also an unfinished effort from me.

Perhaps its like IQ tests, if you do a lot of them they get easier and you get quicker.
49 of 49  -   Report This Post